New Pool Chlorine Levels (saltwater)

audiokat

Jul 2, 2019
Nashville
Just installed this pool last weekend. It's an intex ultra frame 32x16x48" so I'm assuming the size stretches the limits of the saltwater cell.

Pool was full on Saturday and saltwater system was producing free chlorine Saturday night. I added shock and algaecide to start with and ordered some stabilizer. I've ran the saltwater cell about 12 hours a day for the past 2-3 days.

Fast forward to today and I'm still down at .6ppm. I just added the 40ppm of stabilizer which I'm sure will help and it's been very hot and sunny for three days.

I'm worried if I don't get the chlorine dialed in quicker It will start to have issues. Question is should I:

A: Shock once more
B: Use chlorine to avoid any of the shock chemicals I don't necessarily need
C. Take the risk and keep running the saltwater cell overtime hoping it eventually catches up.
D. Some other cool plan I haven't thought of.

Thanks for the help!

Add chlorine to get your FC up where it should be. Use the CYA/chlorine chart and pool math to determine this. If you wait for your SWG to catch up it will be too late and algae will begin to form. If your SWG is sized close to the total gallons of your pool you will most likely have to run it 24 hours at 100 percent. You need a proper test kit to determine the water condition. More information can be found at the Pool School link.

Add liquid chlorine ASAP to get to the proper level. Then crank up the saltwater generator run time until it is able to keep up with demand. You should be targeting a free chlorine level of at least 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.