New Pool build plaster dust stuck all over glass tile

essbase

Dec 2, 2020
Sarasota Florida
Pool is complete with the exception of the automation, but builder hasn't maintained water and it seems the plaster dust stuck all over the glass tiles. It has been that was for about 6 weeks and I think it's starting to get covered in calcium too. First we saw tan colored deposits that feel like sand, then the white deposits started appearing a couple of weeks ago. The dust seems to have stuck much worse into the glass pieces that are iridescent and have textured faces. The contractor is the house builder and is inexperienced in these issues. I tested the pool water a few times with strips in the last 6 weeks and the PH was off the charts. They have only been dumping in some chlorine every 2 weeks. Any thought on how to ensure this is repaired properly? Thanks for any help you can offer!
IRR.jpgTop.jpgwater.jpg

I had my pool refinished/plastered after 12 years last fall. This looks like the plaster crew did not clean up after themselves . I had a similar situation, complained and complained, it got me no where. Luckily I held money back on the job, informed the pool company no proper cleanup , no full payment, haven't seen or heard from my pool company since. So I'm a bit of a DIY.

So I VERY CAREFULLY took Muriatic acid diluted it , got in the pool with googles Just in case I needed to submerge, brushed , scraped it . Keep in mind the acid will eat thru most cleanup household items. IT WILL corrode everything from some plastics and metals to clothing and skin. SO use CAUTION or hire a Pro and put it back on the PB.

Also get a good test kit .. , you cannot count on GUESS strips.

good Luck Pete

I had my pool refinished/plastered after 12 years last fall. This looks like the plaster crew did not clean up after themselves . I had a similar situation, complained and complained, it got me no where. Luckily I held money back on the job, informed the pool company no proper cleanup , no full payment, haven't seen or heard from my pool company since. So I'm a bit of a DIY.

So I VERY CAREFULLY took Muriatic acid diluted it , got in the pool with googles Just in case I needed to submerge, brushed , scraped it . Keep in mind the acid will eat thru most cleanup household items. IT WILL corrode everything from some plastics and metals to clothing and skin. SO use CAUTION or hire a Pro and put it back on the PB.

Also get a good test kit .. , you cannot count on GUESS strips.

good Luck Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. The tile seemed clean after the plaster guys finished. No one was coming by to brush the pool after they finished, so on the advice of others I brushed it daily and cleaned the filter every other day. It seemed like the dust started sticking to the tile about a week into the process and made the tiles feel like sandpaper. Anyway, it sounds like the method you recommend will require a lot of careful elbow grease. I don't mind the work if I have to go that route but after reading on the forum about possible options, it sounds like maybe the soda or glass media blasters might be a good alternative I am going to look into.... Thanks again Pete!

Diluted muriatic is our go-to for scale. You can also add Bright N White by BioDex to mute the fumes a bit and make the acid more viscous. I think you'll find the elbow grease is minimal; it's primarily the work of being consistent in application and scrubbing with a short hair brush. Then rinsing. Repeat if needed on tough spots. I'd even try carefully putting mixture in a spray bottle if you want to have more control.

It looks like that period of time your pH was "off the charts" did what it always does. If as described, your PB did an awful job on the startup. Keeping pH under control during those previous first weeks is very important.

Your initiative for daily brushing probably saved you from enjoying the soothing texture of a 40-grit pool for the next 10 years. :LOL:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.