New Pool Build - Fort Worth, TX

Bauer600

Sep 12, 2020
Fort Worth
Hi All,

We're looking at a new pool build here in the DFW Fort Worth area. We've had several pool bids so far, but wanted to get people's opinion on this below with cost. They've all seemed pretty high, as the range we've seen has been in the lower 80's to 110k with some of the other builders. Access is pretty tight and some say we'll have to temporarily remove the AC's for a few days during the dig, while others have said they could get around it with taking down the neighbors fence. Definitely going with a SWCG, and will do a robot cleaner as well which isn't listed here. Also the sun shelf/baja shelf shown in the pictures was revised to 10' long vs 7' in the bid as we wanted a little more room. Anything I'm missing on here or should be asking for is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 5.37.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 5.37.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 5.37.43 PM.png

Barker Family (Fort Worth)_011.jpgBarker Family (Fort Worth)_017.jpg

Should ask them to specify which model of IntelliChlor and the IntelliCenter is the newer controller instead of the Easy Touch 8...I am in the shopping process myself so I can't speak to which is better but just fyi in case you want to look into it or others may jump in with an explanation. Will you have or want an auto filler or overflow pipe? I would also be asking how many returns? how many skimmers? main drain? Which LED lights specifically? Will 5' be deep enough for you? I'm not getting a spa so I don't know what to look for on them!

Last edited:
Some builders really like installing the Easy Touch 8, their tried and true workhorse, ease of installing and programing (on their part), and an easy interface for the customer. From what I have read, and I've done a lot of it on automation, Easy Touch 8 with Screen Logic (app interface) will be just fine for most people. Yes, there is the newer automation called Intellicenter, but this upgrade to me (From the Easy Touch 8 at least) is going to be subjective. Some builders will push back, telling you that you don't need the "fancy" upgrade, others will quote an crazy upcharge so you don't do it, and others will be OK with it, it really will depend on the builder. There are advantages of the Intellicenter for sure over the Easy Touch 8, and the cost to move up to the Intellicenter shouldn't be that much (Already has Screen Logic built in), so I would at least ask about that change. Intellicenter is the newest automation from Pentair, updates are easy, you can hardwire the ethernet connection, the list goes on, but I would ask at least. For me, its not a real "deal breaker", I almost went with the ET8 as my builder never installed the Intellicenter and they were backordered for a while, and I'm a tech guy, but am glad I got the upgrade in the end.

As Kathy mentioned above, I would make sure to find out which IntelliChlor model you would be getting. You probably want at least the IC40. With a 16k gallon pool, you want a cell rated at least 32k, so the IC40 would be the next step up (Rated at 40k gallons).

For the lights, I agree on asking which ones specifically, as this will make a difference how many you should get. Since the PB is using Pentair equipment, they are likely going to be GloBrite or MicroBrites. They do have differences in output, as well as instillation. I would avoid the GloBrites, these use a special niche which makes replacing them more difficult down the road. Microbrites use a standard 1.5 opening, and can be replaced later down the road when they burn out (not if, but when), by most other lights. Now, assuming the lights are Microbrites, I would make sure you have at least three in that pool. My pool is 30' long and only 14' wide, and with three Microbrites, I get a lot of light, but 2 would probably be enough. For your size pool, I think you need at least three. They aren't a huge price to add just one more, and a lot easier in the build stage than later.

Here is my pool with the three Microbrites....

IMG_5198.jpg

Others will have more specific comments/questions on the other stuff, good luck with the process!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.