MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Did some searching here and on the web and couldn't find anything regarding this situation I have:

Received my new Pentair Quad 80 DE filter today, along with the Pentair multiport # 261055. These were confirmed to be compatible.
When I dry fit these 2 pieces together, the MP's upper fitting sits flush with the filter's bulkhead. However the MP's lower fitting has a gap of approximately 1/4".
Is this normal fitment or is something else going on with either the filter or MP?
Pics for reference:

Attachments

• mp valve.jpg
    mp valve.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 34
  • filter 1.jpg
    filter 1.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 102
  • filter 2.jpg
    filter 2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 32
This is the bottom fitting part number 178575, which is what seems to be stamped on the fitting.
pentair-4600-8575dims.jpg

This is the top fitting. Part number 194801.

Pentair-194801-dims.jpg

The top fitting is shorter to compensate for the difference.

Can you verify the part number for the top fitting?

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but I snapped a picture of my filter connected to my MPV (it’s the hiflo version, but the connections appear to be the same).

8D366B76-E35C-4B50-A997-59A69C78EEE0.jpeg

I have the Pentair DE60 and sometimes the ports don't always mate perfectly...had an o-ring issue one time that got partially squeezed between the two mating surfaces. I found with this multiport connection, sometimes you just have to jam it in after verifying there is nothing interfering and let the threading of the bushing do the compression work.

The bottom fitting is stamped 178575. Top is stamped 194801.
If I flip the multiport upside down it fits perfectly!

If I put a straight edge on both MP fittings, the top fitting sits inward about 1/8" compared to the lower fitting.
It's hard to tell in the pic because there isn't a lot of space to see, but this is the MP dry fit and unsecured (unscrewed).

Attachments

• filter 3.jpg
    filter 3.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely not cross threaded - that gap with the bottom fitting is the same when the MP is dry fit to the filter, without any of the nuts being tightened.
The top nut blocks the fitting from going in all the way until the nut is tightened.

It looks cross threaded.

I would try it again.

The top nut blocks the fitting from going in all the way until the nut is tightened.

It looks cross threaded.

I would try it again.
which pic are you referring to?

I don’t have a level long enough but I tried a couple different rulers, all with the same result:

Attachments

• AE4C4699-8EA9-460F-90CE-0726DAD99D42.jpeg
    AE4C4699-8EA9-460F-90CE-0726DAD99D42.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 23
filter-1-jpg.330103

This looks cross-threaded.

Put some lube on the O-rings and in the filter fittings and make sure that there is noting blocking the fittings from being fully inserted and then insert the fittings and screw both nuts making sure that they are not cross-threaded.

It looks like the filter and multiport are both about 1/8" off, which combines to 1/4" off.

If you try to secure the nuts, does it feel like it takes too much force to get them fully tightened?

Maybe try tightening both at the same time.

Put some lube on the O-rings.

What happens if you tighten the bottom nut first?

It looks like the filter and multiport are both about 1/8" off, which combines to 1/4" off.

If you try to secure the nuts, does it feel like it takes too much force to get them fully tightened?

Maybe try tightening both at the same time.

Put some lube on the O-rings.

What happens if you tighten the bottom nut first?

The top nut tightens easily by hand, then when I try the bottom there is that gap which causes the lower fitting to not sit square against the bulkhead - can't tighten the the night.
If I flip the multiport upside down and install it, it fits perfectly. Nuts tighten by hand, everything is square.

Is there any adjustment with the filter's bottom bulkhead fitting? Can it be backed out enough to make up the difference? Or is that supposed to be threaded in all the way (to a positive stop)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.