New owner, old pool, similar questions

I wouldn't say common, but it does happen. It's usually the problem in the end and you can't pass the OCLT, the water is crystal clear, zero CC's. That's when to start checking for algae hiding places. Lots of times a member will bring it up during somebody's SLAM to not forget to check that out like was done in your case.
To put that in writing in the SLAM Process article would have to be taken up at the next board meeting with upper management ! I'm just a grunt. Lol

Woke up (late) this morning and pulled a FC number. It was 10.5 last night, and over night dropped to no more than 10. We finally passed OCLT! I feel so much better about the quality of this water than when we got the pool. Since my CYA is low, I'm going to increase that with the Jumbo Chlorine tabs one at a time and slowly get the pool to where I want it in prep for the hot summers here ;).

Good job !
Just make sure you know when to stop using the jumbo tabs. Pool Math, at the bottom of the page will tell you how much CYA and FC each one will rise each level. It will also show you what it will do to your PH. Just enter the weight of each tab.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.