New owner of an old hybrid

minnowjam3

Sep 5, 2019
Kansas city
So my wife and I recently purchased a home with a hybrid pool. This thing was a frog pond but we have hope for it. So far we have cleared some landscaping, cleaned out the pool, and had the plumbing pressure tested. One return failed so my father in law cut out a portion of the deck and excavated the return. We are contemplating replacing the entire deck and adding a light or two and widening the deck for a pergola area. We will also be replacing all new equipment. Any thoughts or advice? Apparently my pictures are too large to pos.

Attachments

• 20190901_201307.jpg
    20190901_201307.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190902_204342.jpg
    20190902_204342.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 67
So my wife and I recently purchased a home with a hybrid pool. This thing was a frog pond but we have hope for it. So far we have cleared some landscaping, cleaned out the pool, and had the plumbing pressure tested. One return failed so my father in law cut out a portion of the deck and excavated the return. We are contemplating replacing the entire deck and adding a light or two and widening the deck for a pergola area. We will also be replacing all new equipment. Any thoughts or advice? Apparently my pictures are too large to post.
Also, does anyone have experience with gunzite?

Welcome to TFP!

That's going to be a nice pool when you're done. Ask all kinds of questions when you have them, the folks around here know all the things and are happy to help.

Not sure if you have more images to reduce so you can post, but I love Irfanview for it's simplicity and ease of use for basic image manipulation. Just press R to rotate, S for save as, ctrl+R to resize, etc.

Reactions: minnowjam3
Minnow,

Welcome to TFP! Neat project! We have a lot of experts in pool construction/repair and also people knowledgeable with older pools. I'm sure they'll have lots to offer. I have a few questions that I think will help get the discussion going:
  • When you pressure tested and repaired did you re-test to confirm there are no other leaks?
  • What have you decided for pool equipment so far?
  • Do you plan to do this all DIY?
  • What about your cleaner? Suction, pressure, robot?
  • How will you chlorinate?
  • Considering salt pool?
  • What is the condition of your plaster? Any plans to refinish? Or just get the pool up and running first.
  • What are your plans for controls? Automation in your future?
Please add more photos, including your current equipment pad, piping, and controls. Please also do add details about your current pool in your signature. Right-click your name on top right then open the signature window. Add your pool details such as dimensions, type, equipment brands/model numbers etc then press save. This will be added a the bottom of each post so our experts can weigh in with fewer cycles of questions to you. Also, please start to read through Pool School using the link to the left. As you read this it will help you understand some of the choices you have for maintaining your pool. And you'll need to get a test kit on order well before you start the pool so you can be successful from the start with TFP methods.

One last thing, avoid pool stores for advice. They all have a lot to sell and they are conflicted because of this. People here are experts and experienced pool owners that have nothing to sell. Our advice is based on proven sound science and real experience. If you need something from a pool store we'll be the first to recommend it.

Please keep us up to date on your progress. Looks like a very interesting project!

Chris

Reactions: minnowjam3
I will upload more pics this evening. I have not repaired the broken return yet. Still trying to find time to get to the store. For equipment I am thinking a variable speed pump, but i have no idea about the filter yet. I would love automation and to be able to add a pool light or two while i have the deck tore up. Still researching that though. I do plan to do everything DIY. The pool guy that did the pressure testing recommended gunzite and epoxy paint for the bottom and the fiberglass. He also mentioned 2 part epoxy for small cracks at the corners and vulcum(sp?) rubber for the fiberglass seams. I just don't know enough about those things yet. Salt is on the list of things to decide on as well.

Wow! You've made huge progress. Congrats.

If you're going DIY be careful with Jandy equipment. I learned this the hard way too late. Jandy eliminates warranty for any equipment sold on the internet and/or installed by a non-Jandy service tech. They are very transparent about this in their catalog. They proudly declare "we're quitting the internet". Guess they didn't pay much attention to what happened Sears and Montgomery Ward. This will force me to switch to Hayward, Pentair and other 3rd party providers. Some of them limit DIY warranty but the don't eliminate it. Often 3rd party have no difference in DIY or internet purchases.

Chris

Reactions: FlapjackMcCoy
Does anyone have any insight into tearing out the 3 ft deck around this hybrid pool? Any specific things to look out for? I would want to go back with a wider patio. My other option was going to be to leave the concrete deck alone and butt up to it with a composite deck. Any thoughts?

Here is an update on my progress. Waiting on concrete to set up to install equipment. I went with a pentair superflo vs and a clean and clear plus cartridge filter.

Attachments

• 20200706_192142.jpg
    20200706_192142.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200706_191956.jpg
    20200706_191956.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200706_192041.jpg
    20200706_192041.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200706_192402.jpg
    20200706_192402.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200706_192323.jpg
    20200706_192323.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone have any insight into tearing out the 3 ft deck around this hybrid pool? Any specific things to look out for? I would want to go back with a wider patio. My other option was going to be to leave the concrete deck alone and butt up to it with a composite deck. Any thoughts?
I see that you completely removed the deck, we're thinking of doing the same. I'll ask your own question back to you, anything to look out for? Thank you. Your progress looks great!

I see that you completely removed the deck, we're thinking of doing the same. I'll ask your own question back to you, anything to look out for? Thank you. Your progress looks great!
Hey! We had to replace most of the plumbing that was under the concrete deck including both skimmers so that was why we made the decision to expand. The only real regret is very small, but we didn't brace the wall from the inside when pouring the new concrete and there is a slight wave in the side now. Happy to answer any other questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.