i was thinking that was a possibility. Any idea how I would test that? Is there a way to switch my valves or something? I am not sure how the suction cleaners work.
My valve looks similar to yours (circled in blue):
1583264829303.png
Look at your valve and see if it's labeled at all, I can't tell from the picture. I have mine set to something like 60/40 cleaner/skimmer, just so the cleaner is moving along at good pace, but skimmer has good flow. We have a Poolvergnuegen which has worked really well for us for three seasons now. Only time I ever have to manually vacuum is in the fall, because the cleaner can't keep up with all the leaves. I don't know how well those work with a VS pump though.

Reactions: Trk3263
Hmm now I have to figure out is the valve co trolls the skimmer/bottom drain or the Skimmer and this inlet. I don’t feel any water movement at this inlet and it is to cold to swim down to the bottom drain. It does look like the bottom drain is on because some debris collect on it.
i do have the valve set to 75/25 like was earlier recommended for the skimmer/drain setup.
i don’t think I will use this inlet because I bought a robot vacuum. I wonder if I should buy a cover for it to try and keep the water out of that pipe. As you can see in the above photo there is a third pipe that comes out of the ground and is capped off. I wouldn’t want the water to freeze in that pipe.

Do you have two open ports at the bottom of your skimmer? Do you see a diverter/float valve at the bottom of your skimmer? This device will look like a UFO disc. A diverter valve balances suction from two suction sources tied into the skimmer.

Last edited:
So, yeah, I forgot that some setups have a dedicated main drain line. Mine is a dedicated vacuum port, and then the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer. I have one of those UFO float valves on mine that Rancho mentioned.

If you have a robot you have no use for it. If it goes nowhere for sure, you could plug it.

I would cut flush with the elbow coming out of the ground and raise the pipe about 30' so the SWG is not that close to the ground.
Looking to install tomorrow. My concern with this is it will be less protected in the front.
what are your thoughts on a vertical adapter setup (purchased the kit previously) beside the filter. My other thought is to use the vertical adapter as a horizontal adapter for the vertical pipe running beside the filter. My concern with that is weight from the water may be an issuer.
Back to the post about raising it 30” to get it up off the ground, is there a reason I need to keep clearance away from the ground?
Thoughts and suggestions would be great.

At least you dont have to bend over to adjust it, and low to the ground can always be wet. It doesnt really matter as long as you can fit it. Its your puzzle, many ways to solve it. As long as it works , its right! Post pictures of the adapters as i am lost as what you mean.

What are your thoughts on adding these while I am plumbing in the SWCG so I can easily disconnect to get into the top of the sand filter?

FA9C1B24-189B-4B73-A16B-F7EB0842547E.jpeg0FEADFC6-FFF5-444F-B345-53547C8862C8.jpeg

Well I didn’t add those couplers but did Change out some of the plumbing in hopes of fixing some leaks. Instal of the RJ45+ went pretty smooth and wasn’t real difficult. I almost missed the part about having 6-12” of straight pipe just prior to the check valve but was an easy change in my setup. Unfortunately my kit was missing the o-rings so I bought some at Lowe’s but they didn’t work so.... I currently can’t run anything until I find some O-rings. Glad the weather isn’t supposed to drop below freezing this week. We will see how good the customer service is. Hoping to get them shipped fast.
C539C63F-45A7-49F9-A70C-512D16B70EFD.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the contents of the box. The O rings are not black but rather white/clear in color and are in a plastic bag together with other hardware. Also, I hope you have installed the flow switch as I can't see it in the picture.

Last edited:
Check the contents of the box. The O rings are not black but rather white/clear in color and are in a plastic bag together with other hardware. Also, I hope you have installed the flow switch as I can't see it in the picture.

Going To look again thank you for that tip. Yes the flow switch is just beflow the SWCG in the pic. The directions indicate you can use the cell for the 6-12” straight pipe just prior to the flow switch.

Are you just installing these under an outdoor weather cover? I am not seeing any specific outdoor WiFi switches and out pool light switch is outside by the pump.
Everybody has a personal preference when it comes to Smart Home controls. I really like Kasa TP-Link devices. They've been around awhile, they're readily available on Amazon, and are controlled by a great app. The HS-200 should work for your needs. I have about 12 different TP-Link switches and plugs both inside and outside and have had no problems with them. Once you select a manufacturer, try to stick with it for future purposes. It makes it easier to run all your devices off of one app. I have a couple other apps for different smart home devices that are not nearly as good as Kasa's.

Wi-Fi switches generally require a neutral wire in the box as they require constant power. Make sure you have a neutral wire in the box.

Well no luck the only parts bag I received was with the control head part and it contains the screws, mounting block, and extra fuse, a jumper if converting to 120v. I double checked all the package and the area where I installed now that I know I am looking for a clear/white o-ring.
Could you describe them or send a photo of them so I know what I am looking for during my search at stores today. Are they flat o-ring washers that fit into the grooves? I bought black o-rings at Lowe’s last night but they wouldn’t fit into the groove so I am thinking I need to find thinner ones or maybe they are a flat washer style? Any further help would be great. The company isn’t open until tomorrow and who knows how long it will take to ship here and I need to get it up and running by Friday at the latest do to some stuff at work.
Thank you for your help

Are you just installing these under an outdoor weather cover? I am not seeing any specific outdoor WiFi switches and out pool light switch is outside by the pump.
If installed outdoors, these switches need to be installed in a weather-proof electrical box. Mine is installed in my pool control box, inside a pool equipment shed.

Well no luck the only parts bag I received was with the control head part and it contains the screws, mounting block, and extra fuse, a jumper if converting to 120v. I double checked all the package and the area where I installed now that I know I am looking for a clear/white o-ring.
Could you describe them or send a photo of them so I know what I am looking for during my search at stores today. Are they flat o-ring washers that fit into the grooves? I bought black o-rings at Lowe’s last night but they wouldn’t fit into the groove so I am thinking I need to find thinner ones or maybe they are a flat washer style? Any further help would be great. The company isn’t open until tomorrow and who knows how long it will take to ship here and I need to get it up and running by Friday at the latest do to some stuff at work.
Thank you for your help
Did an online chat with DiscountPools late Saturday (due to the store being closed). The chat service got my message to their customer service and they mailed out O-rings first thing yesterday morning.

O-ring arrived and the RJ is now running. The water temp is only 57 degrees so it might take a little time before I can get the settings adjusted correctly. Currently have it set at 50% but thinking about putting it into winter mode? Also waiting for the salt reading to settle from the factory readings (manual says it may take up to 24 hours).

So, yeah, I forgot that some setups have a dedicated main drain line. Mine is a dedicated vacuum port, and then the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer. I have one of those UFO float valves on mine that Rancho mentioned.

If you have a robot you have no use for it. If it goes nowhere for sure, you could plug it.
I don’t think it goes anywhere and there is an extra pipe out of the ground by the pump valves but it is capped. How do I clear the water from the pipe before I put a plug in it?

I forgot to mention. You should definitely plug or cover that port. It's a potential entrapment hazard.

when I close that off my concern is the other end by the pump is capped so there will be trapped water in that line. Is this Ok or do I need to somehow clear it first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.