New Merlin SmartMesh Safety Cover held puddles of water in offseason

NJ-Bob

Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bridgewater, NJ
I replaced my old Merlin SmartMesh Safety Cover last fall with a new one. From what I remember, the old cover held very little water on top after a rain, a few drops, then they were gone. This cover seems to hold large puddles for several hours to a couple of days on top of the cover in a couple of spots. I'm not sure if the water would actually drain through or if it would evaporate. Is this normal for a new SmartMesh cover?

Other than the cover not being the correct material, the only other thing I can think of is the straps are adjusted for as much tension so the middle areas sag when water gets on it.

Hey Bob !!
2 likely possibilities. There are different %s of weave and the two heaviest look the same. Maybe the new cover is a solid cover. (100%)My 99% cover sure looks solid, you can hold it up and not see any light through it, but water will drop though it slowly once it’s saturated.

the other option is that 1 inch of play at the spring can cause a foot or more of sag in the middle. Once the heavy wet cover sags, you will will grow a puddle that is in no rush to pass through the cover.

A solid cover is meant to be pumped. If you pump a permeable cover you are basically pumping the pool through the cover, which is fine to a certain point. you can use an existing pump or buy one that’s made for this purpose.

Thanks, Newdude. I hope it isn't solid since I paid for the top of the line mesh cover. :/ Maybe it does sag more. If there isn't any other resolution to the issue by the end of the season, I'll try tightening the straps a little. And maybe older covers start to drain a little faster after several years.

I got a little worried because the quote from the pool company was much lower than the first quote and the first company said I should make sure they were quoting for the SmartMesh because their price was close to the first company's cost.

Reactions: Newdude
I hope it isn't solid since I paid for the top of the line mesh cover
Rest assured are both ‘mesh’ and the solid one is probably the more expensive one.

I’m sure the it’s written on the tag somewhere. (Some covers have 2, one on each side).
I got a little worried because the quote from the pool company was much lower than the first quote
Could be a couple of reasons for this also. The pool company may do more business with the company and get a better wholesale price. Volume is king to large companies. Or the pool company may have already had it from a wrong order and given it to you near cost just to get their money back and get it off the shelf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.