combsone

Mar 24, 2020
Long Beach, CA
What's up, everybody...We're in the process of building our pool in Long Beach, Cali. Pool equipment is being installed and we're having the pool finished with Stonescapes Micro Pebble next week. I first stumbled upon this forum after Googling different pool finishes. I've already learned a ton off of here. You guys helped steer me away from doing a UV system (we had requested Ozone) and switch up to a SWCG. I already read all the Pool School articles with all of the extra time I have at home and typed up a Cliff Notes/cheat sheet. I'm going to order the TF-100 test kit soon and Wall Whale brush soon. Wifey wanted us to get a pool fence so that's already on the way. I'm still unsure about a solar cover....(worth the hassle of taking it on/off) and additional cleaning: vaccuum, robot, etc....Thoughts??? I've read a few threads on both topics, but I'm still unsure.

COMY

Welcome.

I'm still unsure about a solar cover....(worth the hassle of taking it on/off) and additional cleaning: vaccuum, robot, etc....Thoughts

people tend to either love or hate their solar covers. You can’t know which one you’ll be until you try it. We pretty much all agree that they work, it’s just a matter of how much hassle your specific one turns out to be.

I am still vacuuming the archaic way. It works and it doubles as a free brushing, but the$700 robot is looking better everyday. Toss it in and who cares if it needs an hour or two. They have much more expensive models but most people don’t need/want those bells and whistles.

Hello There!!! :wave:

I'm so excited for you.

IMO, I really like my solar cover. It all depends on your taste. I have a roller that the solar cover goes on and I just wind it on and off. It's very convenient for me. The solar cover also keeps my pool warm I think during the summer time. I have a heater, but once I put the solar cover on, the heat (imo) stays in the pool a little longer as opposed to the pool being left open.

As far as cleaners, I use a pool brush, skimmer and a manual vacuum to clean my pool. I was actually looking into getting a Dolphin Robot S200 Cleaner, but decided against it as it was not in my budget at the time. So right now, I just manually brush and vacuum my pool.

but once I put the solar cover on, the heat (imo) stays in the pool a little longer as opposed to the pool being left open
There is no question it retains the heat. It is almost a necessity with a heater or you are throwing money out the proverbial window.