New Member from Vero Beach, Florida

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
Good morning folks!

I found this site after some frustration with a local pool service company. After two and a half years, I fired the pool service and intend to do it myself. This website is a wealth of great information. In addition, I ordered a Taylor K-2006C (will be here Friday) and signed up for the premium Pool Math App. I am currently reading through the website and forum postings.

My pool is a 12000 gallon free form plaster SWCG (iChlor30) pool. It uses a 1.5hp single speed pump with a cartridge filter. I run it 8 hours a day April-Dec and 6 hours a day (Jan-March). The pool equipment also includes solar heating.

3 days ago I had the water checked by a local pool store. These are the results:
FC: 8
TC: 8 (0.2 difference)
Salt: 3600
CH: 240
CYA: 65
TA: 90
pH: 7.5
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Phosphates: 400

The FC is high so I backed the iChlor30 down to 25% until the chlorine level comes down. The SWCG was previously set at 60%. Do you see any immediate concerns? What about the phosphate level? The water is clear.

I'm looking forward to taking care of my pool myself and spending time on this site. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Charlie

Welcome! :wave:

Don't worry about phosphates. They're just a bogeyman to sell more chemicals. If you maintain adequate chlorine to keep the pool sanitary, you automatically have enough to keep algae at bay, so phosphates are no problem. You have a SWG, so it's even easier for you to maintain that level.

When your test kit arrives, do not be surprised if your readings are greatly different from the pool stores. In fact, expect it. A huge discrepancy doesn't mean that you did something wrong.

Reactions: Charlie227
Hello and Welcome to TFP!

To be honest, the chlorine in your pool is just right at 8ppm. You should follow the FC/CYA Levels. With your CYA at 65 (we round up to 70) the target FC is 8ppm with a minimum of 5ppm. Going a little high on FC is just fine. I'd turn the SWG setting back up to where it was and leave it for now.

I think those target numbers are for a non-SWCG pool. Looking at that chart for SWCG pools, the target is 5 for a CYA of 70. I'm going to retest tomorrow and see where I am before adjusting the SWG. Thank you.