Apr 7, 2020
Mooresville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I started following TFP this year before an awful storm wreaked havoc on my pool. I drained the nastiest, swampiest water imaginable last weekend. I endured a not-so-great liner replacement fiasco this week, but that's mostly behind me. The pool is almost half full now and I expect it to be full by Friday night / Saturday morning.

My plan of attack is as follows, but please help me adjust as needed!

1. Clean the filter
2. Raise pH to SLAM level
3. SLAM to completion
4. adjust CYA, pH, Alkalinity, FC
5. Swim, drink and smoke an expensive cigar

I really hope someone tells me not to SLAM because I want to get to steps 4 and 5 ASAP 😉

I've got my new water pretty well balanced but it does appear slightly cloudy. I've lost about 1ppm chlorine today, but it's 91 degrees here today and the pool saw a little use from my kids this morning.

Any thoughts on the cloudiness?

Screenshot_20200726-152057.jpg
20200726_151911.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another day has passed. CC still registering 0. Lost about 4ppm FC since 8AM, but I have to believe the 93 degree temp has something to do with that. Just added another gallon of chlorine.

Pool is still very hazy. Should I be thinking of adding floc?

In no particular order:

Your CYA might be low for the sunlight in your area. 4ppm loss in 7 hours is a lot. But this applies to a clear pool, so...

What test kit are you using?

Have you done an OCLT?

If you are using 10% shock, and your pool is 25K galloins, then every gallon is 4ppm of FC. If yoru CYA is 30, then your normal level of FC shoudl be 4-6, and never get below 2. You might be very close to the bottom edge if you are losing 4ppm. But more important, your SLAM level is 12. My recommendation, time to get aggressive, do a SLAM, and add enough shock to get up to 12 (should be 3 gallons) and keep it there until clear. FYI, you can swim at FC of SLAM level no issues. More detials can be found here.

In no particular order:

Your CYA might be low for the sunlight in your area. 4ppm loss in 7 hours is a lot. But this applies to a clear pool, so...

What test kit are you using?

Have you done an OCLT?

If you are using 10% shock, and your pool is 25K galloins, then every gallon is 4ppm of FC. If yoru CYA is 30, then your normal level of FC shoudl be 4-6, and never get below 2. You might be very close to the bottom edge if you are losing 4ppm. But more important, your SLAM level is 12. My recommendation, time to get aggressive, do a SLAM, and add enough shock to get up to 12 (should be 3 gallons) and keep it there until clear. FYI, you can swim at FC of SLAM level no issues. More detials can be found here.

I'm using Taylor K-2006C kit

I started SLAMing at 12FC 2 days ago. I've lost about 2ppm FC overnight each night.

I'm just wondering considering the following conditions if maybe I'm not not tackling the issue properly:
  • It's a brand new liner (installed last week)
  • It's city water (12,000 gallons came via truck and the remainder via hose)
  • Within a day or two, the water became hazy, though I was maintaining proper chlorine levels (4-7 range)
  • I haven't had a single CC test return results > 0
  • I've been SLAMing for nearly 48 hours with no improvement (my wife seems to think that the water is even hazier today than before I started the SLAM)
Or maybe I'm being impatient... I'm ok with that being the case too. I just want to see improvement :)

There are far greater experts on here than me, but here is my guess as to what they would say, stick with the slam, and make sure that you check the FC and get it back up to 12 often, ie 3 or 4 times per day.

Now for how I explain this in my mind. You have a very minor bloom. You have enough FC that it keeps teh bloom somewhat in check, think 95% killed. You have enough FC that it kills off the CC byproducts so this is why you see 0. But you have long enough periods of time below SLAM level, that the 5% of the bloom that was not wipred out, starts to grow, just enough to keep it cloudy. This repeats every day so far.

Now I would brush all surfaces routinely throughout this, and check for the nooks and crannies such as underside of ladder steps, light (especially if there is a color overlay).

Now someone else might weigh in as maybe there is something else going on, such as metals in water, etc, but I have no experience with these issues. If no one else weighs in on this thread in a day or 2, I would repost a new thread, could metals be causing my cloudy water in a newly filled brand new liner pool. that will get fresh eyes.

Reactions: DerekBooth

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.