New Liner Installation Nightmare - Please Help

May 5, 2017
Revere/MA
Hello, I am just getting started on TFP. I am pretty new to pool ownership, my wife and I bought our home with a 32' x 16' pool five years ago. It is an older pool, maybe from the 80s. We had four problem-free summers with the pool, but over the winter the aging vinyl liner gave out. So we contracted with a company named Pool Liner King, here in Massachusetts, to replace the liner. They came on Monday and did the installation, and all seemed to go well. We ordered two loads of water, bringing the water level near the top of the pool. The next morning we looked, and the water level had dropped almost three inches! I called the installer and told them, and they said they would come out to look the next day. So the next day comes, and I call them to say the water level was now down another six inches, for a total of nine inches over a day and a half. It was basically losing an inch of water every five hours. We didn't think it was the plumbing leaking because Pool Liner Kings did a pressure test, and everything checked out. The installer said the water loss was so great that a professional leak detection company had to be brought in. Pool Liner King contracted a company called American Leak Detection to come look at the problem. They came out yesterday, ran a ton of tests (including diving, which I must commend them for, since the water here is so cold this time of year), and determined the plumbing is in perfect shape, and the liner itself is not leaking. Here is what they determined to be the source of the leak: the installer did not install a gasket under the liner at the main drain. There is a gasket under the drain cover bracket above the liner, but nothing underneath it, so all the water is leaking out between the main drain and the liner. He filmed himself shooting some dye into the main drain, and the dye was quickly pulled out through the gap between the liner and the main drain. So, I told Pool Liner King, and they thought the leak detection company was going to fix the problem. But the leak detection company says the liner installer needs to come, drain the pool, place a gasket under the liner, reinstall the liner, and refill the pool. This report was given to Pool Liner Kings, and now I'm waiting to hear back about what the next step is. The water is almost all out of the pool, nearing the bottom. There is a warranty on the liner and installation, so I am hoping I am covered, but in the meantime, we are experiencing a lot of anxiety about how and when this is going to be fixed. Anybody that has any advice or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading so much!!

I think the fact that they sent out the leak detection company who then made clear what went wrong is a good sign you're dealing with a reputable company. Mistakes happen, and the difference between a reputable company and one that's not is what they do about it ;)

With that said, it is always in ones interest to document situations like these and be observant for any unintended consequences. Eg. It might be reasonable to ask if the leak has resulted in saturating the surrounding soil and if as a result there is any need to delay a reinstall, whether leaving the liner exposed has in any way compromised its integrity, etc. These types of questions would be site and environment-specific. If you have questions or observations, be certain to share them with your vendor.

Thank you, Swampwoman, for your feedback. We are trying to stay positive. It is quite disheartening to watch $760 in water gradually slip away over five days, and not know when or how the liner installer is going to fix the situation. I do agree that the company has already shown an effort to fix the problem, but I have not heard from them since yesterday morning. I am wondering if any readers here have ever done anything to seal the space between the main drain and the liner, or if this is a common problem with a typical fix.

I am not too concerned about where the water is going, we live on a hill and there is a lot of ground water anyways, I imagine the leaking water is meeting up with the existing channel of ground water and running off the hill. My wife thinks our sump pump in our basement is being activated more often than usual, possibly as a result of the increased amount of water passing around and under the house.

If anyone has dealt with a similar situation, I'd love to hear about it. I was wondering if there are any sealer products that can seal the gap under the liner, or if an additional gasket is the only solution. Thanks!

UPDATE: The rep for the liner replacement company has assured us that they are going to fix the leak, and refill the pool with water. Apparently the original installation tech is going to do the needed work, he just needs to get his diving suit and equipment together. I'm not aware of what procedure he will use to fix the leak, but I hope to be home to see him do it, so I can relay the info. I'll be relieved to see a pool full of water, ready for Memorial Day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.