New liner, coping, and deck - pool shell issues?

tikoh

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2018
Fayetteville, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I've spent the summer making upgrades to the backyard of the house that we purchased last year. With a soon-to-be 2 year old, safety was a top priority. The pavers around the pool were likely original, dating back to the 1970's. They were heaved and uneven, not matching up to the pool ledge. It was a tripping hazard for adults, let alone the little one. We decided that the best option would be to go with poured concrete, which meant replacing the old "imperial gold" coping (which was broken in many places anyway) and of course the liner. We had a little trouble finding someone interested in messing with a pool as old as ours, but we finally did.

There are some rusty spots in the pool shell where ladder cups and such things were bolted in. Our installer didn't seem concerned, but my feeling is that we may as well address it before pouring concrete. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What about on the condition of the pool itself with the liner removed? He didn't seem to think there are any concerns there either?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3717.jpg
    IMG_3717.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 42
I can't necessarily answer your questions but just wanted to say my late 70's pool has the exact same coping as yours and we are having very similar issues with ours (uneven deck, rusted coping etc). We are looking to do a similar project to yours in the next few years so I am very curious how this all turns out for you and what the $$$ ends up being if you don't mind sharing.

I've never seen any other pool with this coping besides my own and I am curious how common it was back in the day if anyone happens to know.

Good luck!

I can't necessarily answer your questions but just wanted to say my late 70's pool has the exact same coping as yours and we are having very similar issues with ours (uneven deck, rusted coping etc). We are looking to do a similar project to yours in the next few years so I am very curious how this all turns out for you and what the $$$ ends up being if you don't mind sharing.

I've never seen any other pool with this coping besides my own and I am curious how common it was back in the day if anyone happens to know.

Good luck!

From what I've heard it was a common coping used by Imperial Pools. It is no longer made and there is no direct replacement. The total cost for new coping and liner in central New York was $5500 for our 20x40' pool. I can let you know the cost of pouring the deck when we get that done as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.