New Intex Pool Setup Tips?

Apr 16, 2014
New jersey
Ive had an intex ultra frame pool and the legs and t-joints rusted and rotted. I just bought a new intex ultra frame 20ft round pool that i intend to leave up all year and hopefully have for a few years. Is there any info regarding what steps to take with a brand new pool set-up to prevent the rusting and rotting again? Repaint all the metal parts? Spray something? I know the finish will start to scrape away just by putting it together but im trying to figure out how to prep the pieces before it goes up. Thanks

I'd recommend if you are using a saltwater system to stop using it. I have heard countless stories and know of many people that have had their intex frame rust because they were using a saltwater system. That would save you from the rust in my opinion anyways
Mike

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard of an Intex frame rusting because of saltwater. This is my 3rd year with Intex and SWG and no rust at all. Of course our humidity is about 0% most of the time in Arizona.

I don't understand where stories like this come from.

After a few years, all chlorine pools contain salt, added from the chlorine, muriatic acid, and human sweat.

Yeah, the salt content in a saltwater pool is about the same as human tears. Nowhere near that of saltwater, which I will agree is corrosive.

Actually, it is lower than human tears. Saltwater pools are around 3400 ppm, tears are 9000 ppm and ocean water is 35,000 ppm. And just for fun, the dead sea is 330,000 ppm.

Now that we've addressed the saltwater/rust myth for the umpteenth time, getting back to the OP's original question, I'm wondering if anybody has any good ideas, also. I'm getting ready to set up a new Ultra frame and was considering different strategies to beat the rusting around some of the feet from standing water after rains. I had considered coating the inside of the legs with truck bed liner prior to installation, then coating the legs a few inches above the feet after setup. The idea being to seal around the leg and foot caps so no water could get in. I know the foot caps have a hole in them for drainage, hence coating inside the leg prior to setup.
The truck bed liner is sold in quart cans at Lowe's. I've used it in some wooden drawers in my outdoor grill area and has worked like a charm for that. Anyone see any negatives to this?

Now that we've addressed the saltwater/rust myth for the umpteenth time, getting back to the OP's original question, I'm wondering if anybody has any good ideas, also. I'm getting ready to set up a new Ultra frame and was considering different strategies to beat the rusting around some of the feet from standing water after rains. I had considered coating the inside of the legs with truck bed liner prior to installation, then coating the legs a few inches above the feet after setup. The idea being to seal around the leg and foot caps so no water could get in. I know the foot caps have a hole in them for drainage, hence coating inside the leg prior to setup.
The truck bed liner is sold in quart cans at Lowe's. I've used it in some wooden drawers in my outdoor grill area and has worked like a charm for that. Anyone see any negatives to this?
We obviously haven't addressed it enough as it keeps coming up, but I digress......

If the insides of the legs are not painted it would not hurt to paint them. I think the biggest issue is that the pool moves when in use, which scrapes away the paint inside of all the connections. While painting the inside of the legs would help with rust there, I don't know what can be done to prevent rust inside the connections.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I considered sealing mine off at the joints with a flexible silicone sealant, because my last pool rusted out. But I never did, and this pool is starting year 4 with only minimal rust so far.

The liner has faded pretty badly, so I'll probably replace it after this season anyway.

Yeah, same with my pool. 4 years, minimal rust, very faded liner. Want to make some adjustments with the pavers, put the anti fatigue mats under pool, hard plumb and add the hayward skimmer in the side wall. I figured if I was going to make all these changes, i would start fresh with a new pool. Intex has made some design changes to the pool since I bought my last one. The horizontal beam brackets are moulded plastic now. It looks like it will minimize rust on those parts with no metal to metal contact.

What was the goal in delegitimizing the existence of rust and corrosion? If you haven't experienced it then why comment? It's obviously an issue. My prior intex ultra frame was taken down once and stayed up through the winter once. So at the end of season #3, i could take down the pool and snap the t joints just my pulling on them. I guess the powder coating doesn't mean anything if these pieces are moved and scraped. Anyway, being that the finish is already glossy and powder coated, what would actually adhere to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For whats its worth.... I too am in the process of setting up an intex 22'x52" with SWG. So after tons of reading I went ahead and coated the inside of all of the frame pieces with 2 coats of glossy rustoleum. I intend to leave it up (in GA with tons of humidity). So, I dont want to take any chances.

I don't think anyone was arguing the fact that rust/corrosion will occur, just that the saltwater was the culprit. The point of the post is how to minimize the affected areas where the metal to metal contact will deteriorate the finish. In answer to your painting question, the truck bed liner will stick to anything, it's basically tar. Any area you want to paint with a rustoleum type of finish would need to be lightly sanded prior to painting. Although the inside of the legs don't have any finish to start with, so no need there.

What was the goal in delegitimizing the existence of rust and corrosion? If you haven't experienced it then why comment? It's obviously an issue. My prior intex ultra frame was taken down once and stayed up through the winter once. So at the end of season #3, i could take down the pool and snap the t joints just my pulling on them. I guess the powder coating doesn't mean anything if these pieces are moved and scraped. Anyway, being that the finish is already glossy and powder coated, what would actually adhere to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.