New Intex Owner With New Fill

NJSwimmom

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
I have a brand new Intex rectangular Ultraframe 12’x 24’ x 52”, 8,400 Gallons that I just finished filling 48 hours ago, Backwashed and rinsed my upgraded 3000 GPH Intex Krystal clear sand filter pump (NO salt water generator) and then ran the filter for the first time all day yesterday for 12 hours straight with no chemicals.

I read every article on pool school and downloaded the Pool Math app. Following instructions from the Pool Math app, after water testing for the first time this morning with the Taylor K2006 kit, I put 45 ounces of CYA granules Into panty hose tied off and hanging in front of the suction return to bring CYA from 0 to 40 PPM. I also poured 12.5% liquid chlorine in front of the jet return to bring FC from 0 to 3. I am also going to run the brand new filter 24 hrs/day for a couple days and then probably go to 12 hours a day afterwards.

I have included all my numbers below. Please let me know what other numbers I should be adjusting. Also how soon should I retest after 8am this morning and add more liquid chlorine? Do I need to redo all the tests again in these first couple of days or just FC and CYA?

Also, how soon can we swim after adding the 12.5% liquid chlorine If I am currently dosing to go from 0 to 3?

So far this is what I had before I added the liquid chlorine and CYA 8 AM this morning:

pH =7.4

FC = 0.0 ( Should I be testing to 0.2 or 0.5 PPM? ) Test kit has both options.

CC = 0.0?

CH = 60

TA= 70

CYA = 0
Water temp= 72f

Thanks very much for your assistance for this pool newbie!

For the FC - you can just do the 0.5 ppm test (with 10ml of water). It will save you reagents.

Since it's a fresh fill you don't really need to worry about algae - I'm assuming the water is clear?

You can test after 15-30 minutes and the FC should be registering in the water. After that, if no issues, just retest FC and pH daily. Check the CYA about 48 hours after it's all dissolved to verify the levels are where you think they should be. Adjust FC levels if CYA is different. When your pH gets up to 8.0, test for TA too, and then use that info to add enough acid to bring it down to about 7.6 or so. Add FC every day to get to the top of maintenance levels after you test the FC (don't add chlorine and muriatic acid at the same time, but 15 mins of mixing between them should be fine).

After a week or two of daily testing, you'll get a feel for how often you need to add acid and how much FC you add each day. Then you can cut back to testing 2-3 times a week to verify your FC levels are where they are expected to be and to adjust your pH as needed. :)

Reactions: NJSwimmom
As far as swimming - you're safe to go if your FC levels are above minimum, below SLAM, and the bottom of the entire pool is visible. Swim away! :)

The pool actually started taking on a slight greenish tint 24 hours after the fresh fill And I did not have the filter hooked up yet until 36 hours in. Could algae have formed that quickly since there was no filtration or chemicals?

We also are going through a very, very heavy pollen season right now. So it could have some something to do with that because it’s floating all over the top of the pool. A layer of pollen formed during the full week that I had the pool fully laid out, but not filled with water yet/ delayed in filling due to I was taking me a long time to assemble the pool and dig pavers. There’s currently pollen floating on the top of the pool but I’m not getting a skimmer delivered for another week

I just retested for chlorine only and FC is 0.5 and CC is zero. I didn’t retest for CYA because it was just added & assuming CYA isn’t dissolved yet.

Also the slight green tint that has cleared up already!

After my kids go swimming this afternoon should I dose liquid chlorine again to 3 PPM or go higher?

I would probably bring it up to SLAM level of 16 and make 100% sure everything is clear. If the water is clear, then I would do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure everything is gone.

If any haziness/green tint/cloudiness remains, or if the OCLT is failed, I would go to full on SLAM Process.

Reactions: NJSwimmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.