New Inground Pool Northeast Indiana

Oh yes, the pocketbook! Sometimes the only decision driver haha!
Now, which pocketbook are we talking about ? One of the blues ones ? Brown ones ? The green one ? Ones with clasps ? Frills ? 2 handles, one handle ? No idea why don’t we have more money to spend on the pool. 🤷‍♂️

Whelp, we pulled the trigger on a down payment w/ the PB for the fiberglass Imagine Pools, Illusion model (signature updated!!)
I am right behind you. I'm going to follow closely because I'm going to get an Imagine Fiberglass pool too and I also was told it will be an August install. My builder is to call me today after 3 to come out sometime this week to look at the yard for placement. I'm happy to know that I'll be able to see mine from my big bay window in my dining room where me and my dog sit for coffee being a "Nosey Neighbor". :mrgreen: I had my eye on that Illusion too. I love the tanning shelf on it but I didn't want to lose swimming space and I wanted a deep pool so I'm going with the Celebration instead and my granddaughter chose Ice Silver as the finish. Which finish did you chose? I'm so excited for you and cant wait to see that Illusion... almost hoping I wont be extremely jealous of yours because I changed my mind. Lol

We are getting closer to our scheduled install date, and are getting excited. Should be Aug 9, 10, or 11. We are meeting with our PB again on Thurs, to review the plans that we had drawn up. We still nervous about the layout & concrete coverage. It looks like the overhead image doesn't quite capture the overhang of the house and is off-perspective a little bit, skewing where out fireplace stack is at in relation to the landscaping.
I need to get my test kit ordered. I'm going to bite the bullet & get the TF-Pro for salt w/ speed stir. That sounds like the way to go skimming through the forums.
We are considering converting our master bathroom into a "pool bathroom", by taking out the existing garden tub & putting in an exterior access door so people aren't traipsing through the house & can shower/change/cleanup. There would probably be room for some storage shelves also. Then in the future, adding on a "new" master bath. Except that side of the house is getting tight regarding space (gas meter, fireplace vent, sewer cleanout, AC pad, window well, & window). It's just $, right? LOL!
Speaking of money, our quoted Heyward equipment isn't being delivered in time for our build. The PB has ordered equivalent equipment from Jandy that is now in stock, but it is an additional $1300!
@Casey I totally understand your thought process. I too am worried about losing the swimming space, including for playing games like basketball or volleyball. The rest of the fam is in love with the tanning ledge, so it is an Illusion for us. I'm hoping i won't be jealous of your Celebration!

Attachments

• roughed it first pool design.jpg
    roughed it first pool design.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 19
  • picture of first pool design marked up.jpg
    picture of first pool design marked up.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
  • house exterior dims.jpg
    house exterior dims.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 19
@socra ended up going with the Illusion 40 in storm grey. I really liked the tanning ledge and its 7ft deep. Its plenty big for my granddaughter and I who will be the only 2 using it on a regular basis. I'm pushed into October right now for installation. Nothing I can do about it.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned a fence here is something to keep in mind. My pool is in the country on three acres. It's behind my house and not visible from the road or any of my neighbors. It is grandfathered under the local pool fence ordinances. The local ordinance is based on the State wide ordinance that passed after the pool was built. Long story short after about 15 years my insurance company informed me that my choices were fence the pool or cancel the policy.

I would do a quick check on local, state and insurance requirements at some point. The "I didn't know" defense really falls on deaf ears when the insurance company or a prosecuting attorney get involved.

I apologize in advance for being a wet blanket.

Since you mentioned a fence here is something to keep in mind. My pool is in the country on three acres. It's behind my house and not visible from the road or any of my neighbors. It is grandfathered under the local pool fence ordinances. The local ordinance is based on the State wide ordinance that passed after the pool was built. Long story short after about 15 years my insurance company informed me that my choices were fence the pool or cancel the policy.

I would do a quick check on local, state and insurance requirements at some point. The "I didn't know" defense really falls on deaf ears when the insurance company or a prosecuting attorney get involved.

I apologize in advance for being a wet blanket.
Thanks for the suggestion, @DorsalSpine . I have checked state & local reg's, and the autocover meets their requirements. I have not delved into insurance issues/requirements yet.

@socra ended up going with the Illusion 40 in storm grey. I really liked the tanning ledge and its 7ft deep. Its plenty big for my granddaughter and I who will be the only 2 using it on a regular basis. I'm pushed into October right now for installation. Nothing I can do about it.
We ended up going with the Ice Silver color. Without seeing any of them in person (like, in an actual pool with water), it was really hard to decide between the different options. I'm sure both will look nice!!

I can't wait to see it.
That's a bummer it sounds like your install has been pushed out so far. Our PB is still saying about Aug 9/10 to start for us, fingers crossed. We are meeting w/ our PB tomorrow to go over the layout again. This is really stressfull to figure out what we want in coordination w/ balancing costs! Our base quote includes only 626 sq ft of concrete, but we are roughly looking at wanting about 957 sq ft, so that is an extra $2700! I threw together some rough layouts on my own to figure out parallel or perpendicular layouts. I think we like the parallel layout.
I see your signature has a typhoon slide. We will be asking about slides tomorrow, which is another item not included in our base price.

Attachments

• NORTH SOUTH PLAN VIEW.jpg
    NORTH SOUTH PLAN VIEW.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 8
  • NORTH SOUTH PERSPECTIVE.jpg
    NORTH SOUTH PERSPECTIVE.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My slide is back ordered. At least that's what my PB said. He's plumbing the line but said it wont he hooked up til next year. If you're getting a slide, make sure he plumbs a line to the area you want. He ordered from SRSmith. They are pretty pricey but this was my only splurge for my build. I want extra concrete but I'm not going all out this year. I'll figure it out layer, even if I get a 2 toned effect.

Our digging started digging Thursday last week!! Shell arrived late Friday. The plan is to set the shell tomorrow. Here are some progress pics.

• Love
Reactions: newdude
It's in the hole! And there's (some) water!

County inspection was today for the plumbing. PB said they requested the piping be 12-24" away from the sewer clean out. Sounds like no big deal. The plan is to fill the rest of the way tomorrow and finish backfill. They are putting something they call "flowable fill" underneath the upper steps. Some kind of sand/rock slurry.
What do you folks think of the plumbing? Are all those 90 degree joints okay? Should they be 45's?

I think your plumbing looks great and very well done. I missed what pump you have but most modern pumps will have no issue with those 90s.
County inspection was today for the plumbing. PB said they requested the piping be 12-24" away from the sewer clean out. Sounds like no big deal. The plan is to fill the rest of the way tomorrow and finish backfill. They are putting something they call "flowable fill" underneath the upper steps. Some kind of sand/rock slurry.
What do you folks think of the plumbing? Are all those 90 degree joints okay? Should they be 45's?

Reactions: socra
We ended up going with the Tidal Wave slide from Global Pool Prouducts (StackPath). Our PB said it is basically the same as the SR Smith Typhoon, but actually available. Hopefully we can still get it this season, waiting to hear back for sure. I kept waffling between this one, and the taller SR Smith turbo twister. My kids are 12 & 9 right now, so I hope i don't regret not spending a little extra $$ and getting the taller & longer slide.
Tidal-Wave-4.jpg

My kids are 12 & 9 right now, so I hope i don't regret not spending a little extra $$ and getting the taller & longer slide.

My three kids span from 9 to 18, and still enjoy the slide everyday. My wife and I enjoy the slide! It was a pricey add on, but haven't regretted spending it at all. Maybe one day in the far future, but for now, we enjoy it a lot.

Everything else looking good! I wouldn't worry about the plumbing either. Looks like a clean install so far. The hardest part for us was programming the automation to make sure the slide had enough water flow when turned on. Not really hard, just some thought that went into the schedules and when the slide gets "clicked on" through the automation.

Reactions: socra
We ended up going with the Tidal Wave slide from Global Pool Prouducts (StackPath). Our PB said it is basically the same as the SR Smith Typhoon, but actually available. Hopefully we can still get it this season, waiting to hear back for sure. I kept waffling between this one, and the taller SR Smith turbo twister. My kids are 12 & 9 right now, so I hope i don't regret not spending a little extra $$ and getting the taller & longer slide.
View attachment 367706
@socra How do you like the slide now? I am also ordering the same one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.