New Info toward bottom: Diver closed main drain still leaking

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
HI all. I'm in TN and our pool has been closed since October with no issues. Closed by the pool company - safety cover on. We got a lot of snow (like everyone else it seems) and I noticed the pool cover was sagging much more than ever before. I enlisted my sons/husband and they brushed all the snow off the cover. I opened up the skimmer basket cover on the deck and there was no water in the skimmer save being even with the top (where the blue plug was firmly seated.) I can't get the cover off because it's 15 degrees and frozen solid into the pool decking right now. Last night I put a hose through the opening of the skimmer return and ran water for 4 hours. This morning I looked an no new water in the basket area. Is there anything you can think of that would have caused this or *something* I can do until the temperature lifts and I can get the cover off? Plus, the cover has a lot of stress on the corners where the stairs/buddy seat are. Thanks and here is a picture of the cover and what I could see when I carefully put my phone into the opening to try to see if I could see any water in the pool. (The ice in the skimmer basket is from the snow that fell in when I took off the lid - I scooped it out with my hands!)IMG_2594.jpegIMG_2582.jpegIMG_2580.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Apsuhead
Was the water level lowered when it was closed? If it is leaking, there may be a tell-tale sign somewhere of water. But not a lot you can do in the winter. Your water level looks to be just below the skimmer opening, which is around where it would be lowered to when it was closed.

Was the water level lowered when it was closed? If it is leaking, there may be a tell-tale sign somewhere of water. But not a lot you can do in the winter. Your water level looks to be just below the skimmer opening, which is around where it would be lowered to when it was closed.

We don't lower it here. The pool company leaves it mid-skimmer level and when we open it in the spring it is still about there. Like you said, nothing much I can do right now. I'm just so worried. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

TL:DR - pool still leaking after main drain plugged by the diver. Leaks with pump off AND on.
Hi all! I posted during the big ice storm about a discovery that our pool had lost water. Here's the timeline if anyone has any suggestions at this point:
-Ice storm: Opened safety cover and there was about a foot of water left in the shallow end. (Not sure when the water leaked - could have been from Oct 2020)
-filled it back up to mid-skimmer screw
- held most of the water for about a week (just about an inch of loss)
- stopped checking it for 6 weeks. Checked it around 3/20 and it had dropped about 10 more inches
- called pool store/refilled pool to preserve liner
- pool would hold water and randomly lose 3 inches overnight, would refill then it would hold for a day or two
- diver came out this weekend. Said liner looked great, couldn't find a pinhole leak, used dye to check around light, etc. Said likely main drain so we closed the two skimmer lines and ran the pump with the main drain open only.
- lost 2" of water in 1.5 hours!
- he came back and dived down to plug the main drain (this was yesterday afternoon)
- pool has lost another 2 inches of water overnight.

Pool is about six years old. Vinyl liner. No problems to this point. Chemically maintained according to this website and pool is always sparkling and balanced.

Thanks for any advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.