Feb 10, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello there, TFP!

I've recently moved to Arizona, and our new home has a pool! I grew up with a saltwater pool, but for my adult life I've lived without any type of pool. Now, it's time to return to the rituals of emptying skimmers, counting reagent droplets, comparing slightly different shades of yellow and remembering in the dead of night that the filter hasn't been cleaned yet.

TFP's Pool School, PoolMath and forums have already been a valuable resource in re-learning the basics of pool care and balancing, and have given me some direction on getting things on the right track before it's warm enough for swim season. The pool on this property has not been maintained for a long while beyond throwing in a few trichlor pucks, and is a little out of wack (160 CYA, 775 CH, 150 TA).

For the most part I plan to continue to lurk about as I regain my pool knowledge and rebalance this sucker, but I wanted to get an account all set up in case I have burning questions, baffling test results, or attempt a foolhardy DIY project.

Hey Wasd and Welcome !!!

Get a thread going in the testing/balancing forum, and STAT. Your CYA is unmanagable and unless you did a diluted test, it could even be higher. If it is 160, your minimum FC is 13. Your target to ensure you stay above min will be in the high teens once the season ramps up.

Anywho, we'll go over more over there. Glad to have you. :)

Welcome to TFP! Wow, you found the site, already? How long ago has been since you grew up with a pool? In any case, what a great thing that you already got a great test kit. As mentioned above, go ahead and ask questions. We have all been there.

Hey Wasd and Welcome !!!

Get a thread going in the testing/balancing forum, and STAT. Your CYA is unmanagable and unless you did a diluted test, it could even be higher. If it is 160, your minimum FC is 13. Your target to ensure you stay above min will be in the high teens once the season ramps up.

Anywho, we'll go over more over there. Glad to have you. :)
Thanks! And I'll put up my test results on a thread over there. My reading from this site and others points to pumping out most of the water to get things back in balance, but at least that means a fresh start early on.
Welcome to TFP! Wow, you found the site, already? How long ago has been since you grew up with a pool? In any case, what a great thing that you already got a great test kit. As mentioned above, go ahead and ask questions. We have all been there.
It's been well over a decade since then, but I remember it fondly, even the skimming! My dad had me do the daily chlorine and pH tests during the summer, so I'm used to reagent testing kits. The TF-Pro kit feels like the "big boy" version of what I've used before.

Reactions: Newdude
My reading from this site and others points to pumping out most of the water to get things back in balance
This may help you...see the no-drain water exchange section...

Oh, and, WELCOME to TFP!! :shark:

Joining Welcome Home GIF