New Hot Tub Rash

Thank you phonedave. I've stopped the MPS and actually, thank you for that link. When you add the liquid chlorine after the soak, is it generally the same amount/quantity?

Same quantity as what ?

I add about 2 oz of liquid shock, because I know that is what works. That is based on two people for 30 minutes or so. Depending on how many people there are, how long they are in the tub, and how 'dirty' they are, you will have to adjust that amount.

Regarding the flush on a Bullfrog spa, is it difficult to wipe the jetpacks/it's components? Should I put the filters in the middle? The tub is barely 3 weeks old.

if you are Ahh-some purging the tub, you can put the filters in the middle of the tub during treatment. That will help clean them. I then soak them overnight in filter cleaner after that and swap in an extra already-clean set of filters.

My Saturday routine: rinse the filters (we get a lot of pine needles), wipe down the “bathtub ring” with a damp microfiber towel, use same towel behind each jet pack (remember to push them out using the black manifold “horns” not the shell plastic), top up water level, and run weekly TF-100 tests.

It’s not hard, I don’t think so anyway.

For our small A5L, we usually add one oz. of 8% bleach per person after a 15 minute soak. You adjust that so you have enough FC the next day for the level of CYA you have. For us at 20 ppm CYA, the target is 2 to 5 ppm FC.

Our tub has the EOS Ozone system which uses up chlorine faster than tubs without.

Reactions: Newdude
Regarding the flush on a Bullfrog spa, is it difficult to wipe the jetpacks/it's components? Should I put the filters in the middle? The tub is barely 3 weeks old.

When I flush / do a water change I do the following.

Add AahSome, put the filters in the middle, and run the purge.

Cut the power to the spa :)

Drain the water with a sump pump (the tub drain is too slow) and finish up with a small shop vac to get as much water out as possible.

I pop out all of the Jet Packs and stick a hose in them to rinse out the innards and wipe down the exterior.

Rinse out the filters

I wipe down the entire interior of the spa

I replace the jetpacks and filter and refill the spa

Hi Phonedave: Your step by step process is workable. It is important to:
Add the appropriate amount of the Ahh-Some Gel. Typically, you use One Level teaspoon for each 100-125 US Gallons. Using more is a waste of money and you will get additional amounts of foam. So, use the correct amount. More is not more effective or faster.
It sounds like your hot tub is a Bullfrog. You should remove any headrests or pillows before the purge.
Also, when you remove the filter(s), you should spray them off with a garden hose BEFORE you place them in the hot tub itself. If you are able to remove the jet packs after the purge you may want to do this to hose out any clinging bio-gunk. Purge the tub for 20-30 minutes and be sure to create as much turbulence as possible. Open all air input nozzles while the jets are on high.
Important: If you get a tremendous release of Biofilms and slime-forming microorganisms we recommend that you do an extended purge using the same water. Simply add two additional level teaspoons of the gel to the "just purged" tub. Run the high jets for an additional 5 to 10 minutes to help remove any clinging detritus materials that didn't purge initially.
Please be sure to do the following before, during and after the purge.
Always maintain a minimum amount of sanitizer before the purge. We want to make sure that any contaminants that are released are oxidized when they are in a planktonic (free floating) state.
Always wear rubber or plastic gloves when purging. Eye protection is also recommended. Gloves protect you from bacterial infections if you have scratches or abrasions on your hands or arms.
Always wipe away any crusty and sticky peanut buttery multi-colored sediments that may be accumulating at the waterline on the shell. This sticky brownish gunk will be very prominent at the filter inlet area because this has the suction skimmer. Please wipe this gunk And wipe it as you see it. Do not let this gunk dry on the hot tub surface or removing it will more difficult.
Rinse the entire shell thoroughly and wipe the entire surface. You do NOT have to vacuum out the jets with a shop vac after the purge. When you refill the tub always add the water into the filter area so there is no air pocket when the pumps are engaged after the purge. Doing this will allow the pump(s) to prime immediately.
Reinstall the filter(s). I recommend that you always maintain a spare set of filters so you can employ dry filters
instead of wet ones. Let the freshly cleaned filter(s) that were free floating in the hot tub dry for the next time you clean the wet filters so you have no hot tub running down time.
It is ok to drain the purged water on the lawn. Our product and the Biofilms and other contaminants will not harm your grass or flowers. Keep pets and children away from this area until it dries.
Anyone reading this post should know that purging the hot tub with our product or a competitive and effective plumbing cleaner will help to eliminate or mitigate Pseudomonas Aeruginosa (PA) bacteria that is the main cause of hot tub rash or Folliculitis. Testing at America's leading Biofilm Testing University, Montana State, has proven conclusively that the Ahh-Some product is dramatically more effective than other tested products. These results are on the Internet If you search for them. It was proven that the Ahh-Some product was over 5,000 times MORE EFFECTIVE at removing biofilm than a competitive enzymatic product. You read this right. 5,000 times more effective. Plus we do a better job in 30 minutes and not 24- 36 hours needed with enzymes. The Ahh-Some Cleaner is NOT and enzymatic cleaning product.
Please Read every step of the instructions. I do hope this information is helpful to you. If you need additional support you may contact our people 7 days a week. Yes, we do answer the telephone.

Last edited:
Hi Phonedave: Your step by step process is workable. It is important to:
Add the appropriate amount of the Ahh-Some Gel. Typically, you use One Level teaspoon for each 100-125 US Gallons. Using more is a waste of money and you will get additional amounts of foam. So, use the correct amount. More is not more effective or faster.
It sounds like your hot tub is a Bullfrog. You should remove any headrests or pillows before the purge.
Also, when you remove the filter(s), you should spray them off with a garden hose BEFORE you place them in the hot tub itself. If you are able to remove the jet packs after the purge you may want to do this to hose out any clinging bio-gunk. Purge the tub for 20-30 minutes and be sure to create as much turbulence as possible. Open all air input nozzles while the jets are on high.
Important: If you get a tremendous release of Biofilms and slime-forming microorganisms we recommend that you do an extended purge using the same water. Simply add two additional level teaspoons of the gel to the "just purged" tub. Run the high jets for an additional 5 to 10 minutes to help remove any clinging detritus materials that didn't purge initially.
Please be sure to do the following before, during and after the purge.
Always maintain a minimum amount of sanitizer before the purge. We want to make sure that any contaminants that are released are oxidized when they are in a planktonic (free floating) state.
Always wear rubber or plastic gloves when purging. Eye protection is also recommended. Gloves protect you from bacterial infections if you have scratches or abrasions on your hands or arms.
Always wipe away any crusty and sticky peanut buttery multi-colored sediments that may be accumulating at the waterline on the shell. This sticky brownish gunk will be very prominent at the filter inlet area because this has the suction skimmer. Please wipe this gunk And wipe it as you see it. Do not let this gunk dry on the hot tub surface or removing it will more difficult.
Rinse the entire shell thoroughly and wipe the entire surface. You do NOT have to vacuum out the jets with a shop vac after the purge. When you refill the tub always add the water into the filter area so there is no air pocket when the pumps are engaged after the purge. Doing this will allow the pump(s) to prime immediately.
Reinstall the filter(s). I recommend that you always maintain a spare set of filters so you can employ dry filters
instead of wet ones. Let the freshly cleaned filter(s) that were free floating in the hot tub dry for the next time you clean the wet filters so you have no hot tub running down time.
It is ok to drain the purged water on the lawn. Our product and the Biofilms and other contaminants will not harm your grass or flowers. Keep pets and children away from this area until it dries.
Anyone reading this post should know that purging the hot tub with our product or a competitive and effective plumbing cleaner will help to eliminate or mitigate Pseudomonas Aeruginosa (PA) bacteria that is the main cause of hot tub rash or Folliculitis. Testing at America's leading Biofilm Testing University, Montana State, has proven conclusively that the Ahh-Some product is dramatically more effective than other tested products. These results are on the Internet If you search for them. It was proven that the Ahh-Some product was over 5,000 times MORE EFFECTIVE at removing biofilm than a competitive enzymatic product. You read this right. 5,000 times more effective. Plus we do a better job in 30 minutes and not 24- 36 hours needed with enzymes. The Ahh-Some Cleaner is NOT and enzymatic cleaning product.
Please Read every step of the instructions. I do hope this information is helpful to you. If you need additional support you may contact our people 7 days a week. Yes, we do answer the telephone.

I guess I could have been more specific:

Yes I use the recommended amount of Aah-Some. No more, no less

What is the purpose of removing the pillows ? Is it to aid in circulation, or is the Aah-some harmful in some way to the pillows

I did not mention spraying off the filters. I do that on a regular basis, so it's not something I even think about as a step. I spray those things all of the time.

I don't vacuum out the jets (I have no desire to go fixing a locked line). I do use the vacuum to get all of the standing water out of the tub, the bottoms of the seats, etc. so I can wipe everything down well.

Thanks

Ok, so you've already performed the purge. Good man! The only reason we want the pillows and headrests removed is that biofilm and released contaminants can discolor the vinyl. Ahh-Some itself will not harm any surface.

Makes sense. I would love to find something like Armor All that I can use on my headrests.

Ok, so you've already performed the purge. Good man! The only reason we want the pillows and headrests removed is that biofilm and released contaminants can discolor the vinyl. Ahh-Some itself will not harm any surface.
I purged my hot tub when it was new, and have done one water change and purged it then too.

I also purged my washing machine and jetted tub

Your product works great

I purged my hot tub when it was new, and have done one water change and purged it then too.

I also purged my washing machine and jetted tub

Your product works great
Hey, tell me about doing your washing machine. What all did you need to do and did you like the result?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A.O.; Here is information that everyone should know and understand regarding how our Ahh-Some is used and what to expect. You can administer the Ahh-Some to the washer and or dishwasher using any of these two methods. Important: Using our Hot Tub Cleaner to purge and clean washers and dishwashers will do a pretty good cleaning even though it was not engineered to do those appliances. What you need to understand is that our cleaner is vastly different than all the other washer/dishwasher cleaning products. Those cleaners are specifically designed to simply clean interior surfaces, which is a good thing and will usually mitigate malodorous aromas coming from the appliance. Essentially, they mask the real issue which is the solid bio-buildup that can be found in the bottom of the appliances where the water drains to and eventually evacuates to your septic system or sanitary sewer. Ahh-Some opens up the gunk that is lining the drain pipes which now allows the just used water to drain quickly and successfully. So, it's not just what you can see in the interior of the appliance, it is also, and more importantly as far as smells and aromas are concerned, to make sure that the smelly water exits the entire system. If you think hot tub Biofilms can be bad you can't even imagine all the not so pleasant fungi, yeasts, fecal matter, exfoliated skin and a hundred other solids that can pool at the drain and stink to high heaven. This is why we call all this detritus gunk the "fungal jungle".

How to use the Ahh-Some: This is the easy part. Just use 1/2 of a level teaspoon of gel For each cleaning. Add it directly into the washer drum or bottom of the dishwasher. No clothes or dishes should be in the appliance while our product is working. Run on a short "hot water" cycle. If your appliance has a cleaning cycle, use it. In the case of the washing machine you may actually have a stronger malodorous aroma after the washer cleaning until you run a regular load of laundry using your detergent as usual. Disturbed Biofilms can create nasty odors. The Ahh-Some gets them really upset. They are clinging to dear life. They have had such a great food supply for so long they don't want to leave. You MUST run a load of wash and the smell will go away. Not so important for dishwashers. Generally, dishwashers smell ok after cleaning because the water temperature is higher during the purge. Remember, the gel is not added to the cleaning pod slot. You add the gel directly into the bottom of the dishwasher. Lastly, many dishwashers have a removable filter in the bottom section below the spray arm. Peruse your instruction booklet to determine if your dishwasher has this. If so, clean the filter before the Ahh-Some cleaning.
We do manufacture a specific product for cleaning these two appliances But This was written to answer a specific question where the questioner asked about using the hot tub cleaner to do these other jobs.
Hope this information helps!

A.O.; Here is information that everyone should know and understand regarding how our Ahh-Some is used and what to expect. You can administer the Ahh-Some to the washer and or dishwasher using any of these two methods. Important: Using our Hot Tub Cleaner to purge and clean washers and dishwashers will do a pretty good cleaning even though it was not engineered to do those appliances. What you need to understand is that our cleaner is vastly different than all the other washer/dishwasher cleaning products. Those cleaners are specifically designed to simply clean interior surfaces, which is a good thing and will usually mitigate malodorous aromas coming from the appliance. Essentially, they mask the real issue which is the solid bio-buildup that can be found in the bottom of the appliances where the water drains to and eventually evacuates to your septic system or sanitary sewer. Ahh-Some opens up the gunk that is lining the drain pipes which now allows the just used water to drain quickly and successfully. So, it's not just what you can see in the interior of the appliance, it is also, and more importantly as far as smells and aromas are concerned, to make sure that the smelly water exits the entire system. If you think hot tub Biofilms can be bad you can't even imagine all the not so pleasant fungi, yeasts, fecal matter, exfoliated skin and a hundred other solids that can pool at the drain and stink to high heaven. This is why we call all this detritus gunk the "fungal jungle".

How to use the Ahh-Some: This is the easy part. Just use 1/2 of a level teaspoon of gel For each cleaning. Add it directly into the washer drum or bottom of the dishwasher. No clothes or dishes should be in the appliance while our product is working. Run on a short "hot water" cycle. If your appliance has a cleaning cycle, use it. In the case of the washing machine you may actually have a stronger malodorous aroma after the washer cleaning until you run a regular load of laundry using your detergent as usual. Disturbed Biofilms can create nasty odors. The Ahh-Some gets them really upset. They are clinging to dear life. They have had such a great food supply for so long they don't want to leave. You MUST run a load of wash and the smell will go away. Not so important for dishwashers. Generally, dishwashers smell ok after cleaning because the water temperature is higher during the purge. Remember, the gel is not added to the cleaning pod slot. You add the gel directly into the bottom of the dishwasher. Lastly, many dishwashers have a removable filter in the bottom section below the spray arm. Peruse your instruction booklet to determine if your dishwasher has this. If so, clean the filter before the Ahh-Some cleaning.
We do manufacture a specific product for cleaning these two appliances But This was written to answer a specific question where the questioner asked about using the hot tub cleaner to do these other jobs.
Hope this information helps!

I use Ahhsome in my washing machine monthly since it has an “Affresh Cleaning Cycle”. I have used both Affresh and Ahhsome and the Ahhsome always results in a fresher smell. I know that it has worked well because I once had the shaft bearings replaced on the washer and when the tech pulled the drum out of the plastic tub he was shocked at how new the interior metal surface looked. He said that normally the interior surface (between the drum and tub) usually has a build up of thick soap scum and lint in it from the clothes and washing detergents. My surface was shiny steel metal, no build up at all. He asked me what I was using to clean it and I told him I run Ahhsome through it every time the clean washer light comes on. He was impressed and said he’d never seen that product before. Normally the well in the tub where the water pump is would be full of gunk too but mine was squeaky clean.

JoyfulNoise: You said it better than I could. The Ahh-Some cleans in the nooks and crannies throughout the appliance that you can and can't see unless you disassemble certain major components. Thanks for your input.

I use Ahhsome in my washing machine monthly since it has an “Affresh Cleaning Cycle”. I have used both Affresh and Ahhsome and the Ahhsome always results in a fresher smell. I know that it has worked well because I once had the shaft bearings replaced on the washer and when the tech pulled the drum out of the plastic tub he was shocked at how new the interior metal surface looked. He said that normally the interior surface (between the drum and tub) usually has a build up of thick soap scum and lint in it from the clothes and washing detergents. My surface was shiny steel metal, no build up at all. He asked me what I was using to clean it and I told him I run Ahhsome through it every time the clean washer light comes on. He was impressed and said he’d never seen that product before. Normally the well in the tub where the water pump is would be full of gunk too but mine was squeaky clean.

I use it in mine on the Affresh Cycle as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.