New hot tub owner, need some initial help!

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone,

I am new to spa maintenance so trying to figure out were to start! I purchased a hot tub which has an OZONE/UV hybrid system on it, the brand of this system is Simpleclear.
When I purchase the hot tub, the gave us a 3 month maintenance kit called "Soft Soak Trio" which includes 1.Enhancing Water Softener, 2.Weekly Softener & Clarifier 3.Restoring Spa Cleaner. Do I really need these products? or is just the Sanitizer sufficient?

Secondly, which sanitizer should I use with an 0zone/uv system? Chlorine or bromine?

Can anyone with an ozone/uv system explain their maintenance procedure?

Thanks

Check the "how to use chlorine/bromine" threads at the top of this forum. They will tell you everything you need to know! I'm a relative noob myself and I was struggling w/my chemistry until I started following the recommendations here. No problems since.

Generally I think people here recommend against all the water enhancement stuff. I stopped using them and don't really detect any difference.

A lot of folks on here have said the ozone system doesn't do much if anything. You can search the forum for details. If they are right I don't suppose it matters much. After reading the two threads it seems to me that chlorine is easier, and cheaper. I am using chlorine (via an SWG system) and I a new spa w/an ozone system and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Hello everyone,

I am new to spa maintenance so trying to figure out were to start! I purchased a hot tub which has an OZONE/UV hybrid system on it, the brand of this system is Simpleclear.
When I purchase the hot tub, the gave us a 3 month maintenance kit called "Soft Soak Trio" which includes 1.Enhancing Water Softener, 2.Weekly Softener & Clarifier 3.Restoring Spa Cleaner. Do I really need these products? or is just the Sanitizer sufficient?

Secondly, which sanitizer should I use with an 0zone/uv system? Chlorine or bromine?

Can anyone with an ozone/uv system explain their maintenance procedure?

Thanks
Yeah throw that stuff away, for a stand alone hot tub, you want bromine, as it better tolerates the heat, then chlorine does, There are really 3 things to be concerned about with a spa. bromine, pH and total alkalinity. You want your bromine between 5 and 10, your pH between 7.2 and 7.8, and your alkalinity just high enough to keep the pH stable, if your pH tends to fall, you want to increase it, if your pH tends to raise, then let it drop a little, there will be a level where the pH will sit at 7.4 for weeks on end. About once a quarter, give it an ahh-some treatment, drain it, and refill. Because your using Bromine, CYA is not required, and most stand alone spa's are acrylic so CH does not matter either.

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that about bromine. I recently read somewhere here that bromine can be bad in a spa that isn't used often; something about some chemical building up in a covered spa. Don't recall details tho. In what way does bromine tolerate heat better than chlorine?

I am an outlier who uses only ozone and nothing else (no chemicals, no tests). I can attest that it does indeed have an effect. I would say that your ozone generator is working and generating sufficient ozone if you can smell ozone when you remove the spa cover. Older UV ozone generators are practically worthless; newer Corona Discharge ozone generators work for about a year before needing replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.