several bags of cal hypo shock
several jugs of pH minus
almost a gallon of muriatic acid
16 oz of some kind of clarifier.

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shocking day 2 is on!]

Test 16
fc: 8.5
cc: 1.5

Still working on killin stuff, and the pool is still cloudy. Hopefully tomorrow morning there will be another marked improvement. Switching back to 12.5% bleach now, so 57 oz to get me back up to 11.

It's a good thing I bought a few free cases of POP when I started this process. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself...

Test 17
fc: 7

There is a LOT of foamy/filmy whiteness floating on the top of the pool. This is starting to drive me insane - why am I not seeing to make any headway on this? The last time I added chlorine was last night after sundown and I'm still losing 4fc overnight? I have brushed and brushed, I'm not sure there's any way I can brush more effectively - making sure to hit all walls and seams every time I brush, have scrubbed the skimmer/returns/ladders as well as possible, and I still don't seem to be able to get rid of this Dang bloom.

My POP is wearing thin. I'm going to vacuum again - there's another nice thick line of "dirt" - way too much to just be blowover from the dirt road that we live on - where the sides meet the bottom, and then I'll give it another good brushing, but sheesh, this is really starting to get annoying. At this rate I'm going to have a nice clear pool just in time to close it for the winter. :/

I know that I'm supposed to stay on the shocking process - but is there anything I can do to speed this up? I've been shocking for 5 or 6 days now. Maybe chemically cleaning my filter or replacing the sand would be a good thing? I have no idea how old the sand in this thing is, and if the filter isn't working at peak efficiency??? I don't know. I'm just looking for something that could help this process along, even a little bit.

Test 18
fc: 8.5
cc: 2.5

For the last test I was at 7 fc and added 96oz of 12.5%. I also had to put in about 3/4" of water. I'm beginning to think that I have a leak somewhere, which is a scary concept considering I just bought the house and I can only see about 6 feet of the pool lines - the rest are buried under concrete.

I'm also beginning to wonder if my size estimates are off. I'l come up with a way to figure that out later. For now I just brushed every square inch of the pool, and will add another 64oz of 12.5%.

When I go into town later today I'll see about picking up some skimmer socks. I find it very hard to believe that our friend in the linked thread cleaned a rotting possum out in 3 days and I'm 6 days in and still not making any major progress. How do I know when it's time to change the sand/gravel in the filter, or when it's time to chemically clean it?

The TFP experts generally say it is not normally necessary to change the sand. Cleaning it is usually only needed if it is channelled - the sand clumped up with minerals and not filtering well. If you are seeing a rise in pressure you are probably ok.

While the possum was pretty gross to read about. I'm not sure how hard to oxidize it would be.

Looks like I've only been shocking for what will be 4 days around 5PM this evening. Just feels like longer cause I've had a green pool longer than that. I will keep loading up on that free POP and keep on truckin for now.

RockstarNE said:
Looks like I've only been shocking for what will be 4 days around 5PM this evening. Just feels like longer cause I've had a green pool longer than that. I will keep loading up on that free POP and keep on truckin for now.

Good attitude and nice POP :cheers: I do think from what I read here that a sand filter can take over a week to clear a cloudy pool - let alone green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

RockstarNE said:
Yeah I've been adding DE to raise clean pressure by 1psi after every backwash cycle.

Does the pressure rise rapidly after that? How often are you having to backwash? Is that more frequent than before?

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shocking day 4 is on!]

If I vacuum I have to backwash immediately, I've done that twice so far. Otherwise it's been about once a day give or take. The first day or so I had to backwash two or three times.

Vacuumed the "dirt" out of the bottom and did another brushing, then backwashed, added DE and performed the next test.

Test 19
fc: 11

RockstarNE said:
If I vacuum I have to backwash immediately, I've done that twice so far. Otherwise it's been about once a day give or take. The first day or so I had to backwash two or three times.

If that's true then why not vacuum to waste?

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shock process: day 3.7]

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to vacuum effectively, what with moving slowly to not kick the dirt back up into the water and the unwieldyness of the vacuum. I'm not sure I want to send 15-20 minutes worth of water to the grass once a day...

RockstarNE said:
It takes me about 15-20 minutes to vacuum effectively, what with moving slowly to not kick the dirt back up into the water and the unwieldyness of the vacuum. I'm not sure I want to send 15-20 minutes worth of water to the grass once a day...

Got it - backwashing is 1/4 or less that much I'm guessing?

Refresh my memory please...what is your current cya level?

Since your FC keeps dropping well below your shock level (and since you still have significant CC levels), I would overshoot a little with the hope to maintain it at/slightly above your FC shock level.

I asked before how the owner sanitized just because your process has gone a little like a baqua conversion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.