New Home owner with a pool

You could try a drain king pushing water back to the skimmer from the pump??? might get some of the rock out and would at least see if you are able to get good flow.

Might want to try that before turning on the pump and pulling the rocks further and into the pump basket.

Some people use a layer of gravel on the bottom of the filter with sand on top ... but there is no way for that to get from the filter into the skimmer line, if that was what you were thinking ... it would end up on the bottom of the pool.

If they did do the added layer at least I know that's where it came from. Maybe a Left over bag that one of the children shoveled in there or a p'ed off home owner... Tomorrow should I continue to try and shop vac it out and then just fire up the fillter n pump? Or would that just cause more issues.

So my pool is leaking... Not sure what to do next. I don't see any air bubbles so its hard to tell where its leaking. It holds at about 4 inches below the skimmer.

Also I tried to keep vacuuming the rocks out of the intake and there's a ton. I was able to get decent pressure when running the hose from the pump to the intake.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Brandon

OK new development on where the rocks are coming from. So I am currently scrapping the patch job around the skimmer. As I am scrapping the old patch work when ever I tapped on the skimmer plastic I can hear rock falling behind the plastic..

Can I pull that skimmer out?

Thoughts

Back again. So I thought that I found the spot where the potential leak would have been, and I fixed it. Other than that small seam I can't figure out where it could also be leaking. I did notice that as I am filling the pool and it gets past the return jets, the water in the skimmer begins to boil, or bubble I should say... After filling and letting the water sit, the water level will drop right to the return jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you say intake, do you mean the skimmer suction line? At least that is a single pipe and not a loop like the returns so the leak may be a little easier to locate.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Yes when I said intake I mean't the suction in the skimmer. Here is a picture of the skimmer location, possible pipe location, and where the water builds up.

[attachment=0:2ujk2qjz]Optimized-PoolTrouble.jpg[/attachment:2ujk2qjz]

The reason I believe the piping runs along that concrete edge is because it looks as if they have cut into it before.

I am unsure of how to find the exact location of the leak so I was going to call one of the local pool places. I have cut concrete before however I am unsure of where the exact leak is and I figure the pool guys have tools to figure that out.

Do you think this is the right choice? Or is there a way to get an idea on where the leak is?

Thanks,

Brandon

Attachments

• Optimized-PoolTrouble.jpg
    Optimized-PoolTrouble.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 52
Hmmm. That does look a little tricky with all the deck in the way. A leak detector might be able to isolate the location using some listening devices.

Unfortunately, seeming to be in the skimmer line, you likely have to get it fixed in order to make use of the pool.

Thanks for all the replies. I made a call in to a local pool store and was able to find out a plethora of info on my pool. Since he has been in business for quite sometime in my area he knew the people who built my pool and even had pass records of the people who lived there before me. That aside, he said that it is most likely the equalizer that is just below the skimmer that comes up into the skimmer. He said those tend to break fairly easy and that could be the culprit to the pea gravel in side the skimmer. (Backfill) I am going to do some further testing when I get home and I will report back with my findings. Fingers crossed on that's the issue.

Thanks,

Brandon

So turns out that my Equalizer is not the leaking problem... I do have another question though. So if my intake/suction pipe in my skimmer is the one leaking, how come it holds water??. If I put a hose in the skimmer intake and let it run, I don't get water at the pump nor does my skimmer fill.... If I put the hose in the pump, I get water flowing into the skimmer, but it doesn't fill. There are two pipes coming up from the ground into the pump, and I believe 1 is the skimmer and the other is the bottom drain...

Here is a picture.

[attachment=0:1ri36sft]Optimized-Pool.jpg[/attachment:1ri36sft]

Any thoughts on why my skimmer still holds water would be appreciated. Looks like I am going to have to bring in someone to take a look.

Thanks,

Brandon

Attachments

• Optimized-Pool.jpg
    Optimized-Pool.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 42
Are you sure you put the hose in the line to the pump and not into the equalizer line?

If the pump is above the pool water level, then you would have to pressurize the water going toward the pump in order to see any water at the pump.

BNighGrow said:
...If I put a hose in the skimmer intake and let it run, I don't get water at the pump nor does my skimmer fill.... If I put the hose in the pump, I get water flowing into the skimmer, but it doesn't fill.
Can you explain this a bit further?
Does water flow into the skimmer when you're running water into the pump or the skimmer? But just doesn't fill the skimmer up to where it overflows the mouth?
Is there two holes in the bottom of the skimmer? If there is plug the second hole and try running water in it again.

Sorry if this hasa been covered but i didn't go back and read the first page.

Does water flow into the skimmer when you're running water into the pump or the skimmer? But just doesn't fill the skimmer up to where it overflows the mouth?

When I stick the hose into the pump I get water boiling up into the skimmer, but the skimmer never fills it just stays at the same level.

Is there two holes in the bottom of the skimmer? If there is plug the second hole and try running water in it again.

Yes there are two holes, the intake and then the equalizer. If I plug the equalizer the skimmer still doesn't fill.

Sorry if this hasa been covered but i didn't go back and read the first page.

Not problem, I appreciate the help.

Are you sure you put the hose in the line to the pump and not into the equalizer line?

Yes, I even thought maybe I had the two holes backwards. So I plugged the intake, and plugged the equalizer hole in the pool and filled the skimmer and the water held. I unplugged the equalizer hole in the pool and the water drained. Then I plugged the equalizer in the skimmer and put the hose into the intake and let it run for 20 minutes, and there was no change in the water level in the skimmer.

If the pump is above the pool water level, then you would have to pressurize the water going toward the pump in order to see any water at the pump.

The pump is above the pool.

My next question then is why will my skimmer hold water at the level it is currently at and not leak out? That is with the equalizer plugged.

For instance if I fill the pool up to the skimmer and then shut the water off, the level will go drop back down 4 inches below the skimmer. But inside the skimmer the water level doesn't completely drain.

[attachment=0:28mly34a]skimmer.jpg[/attachment:28mly34a]

I am wondering if it has something to do with the other intake? Where would that second pipe coming up to my pump come from? The middle drain?

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 31

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.