New guy - working on turning a swamp back into a pool

Barry_R

May 27, 2020
Commerce Charter Twp, MI
Made brief message about this in the new member section. Bought a home with a long ignored 12,000 gallon vinyl lined inground. Filter plumbing is not findable yet (long story...) Pool had a cover on it (Michigan), seems to hold water OK, liner has several pulls from the retaining band around the top, but that's a battle for another day. Water was a deep green, smelled bad, and had a large amount of organic material on bottom (mainly leaves - perhaps a two/three inch thick layer) along with worms and frogs. We are race car folks, so we are not afraid to make things, try things, and break things - it's sorta what we do....along with spending money.

Started in on it a week or so ago - figured I had nothing to lose that a backhoe would not fix. Before I found this place and started reading I already netted out a ton of the goop and most of the critters. Bought several gallons of chlorine and had at it. Saw some hopeful improvement, registered here, and continued on. Over the weekend I rigged up a temporary filter rig that will get a more professional install as I get caught up on things - decent parts (Hayward, Pentair) that were purchased used in case they became sacrificial - seems to perform well even though it looks silly. Added a couple more gallons of chlorine each day. My record keeping was nearly zero, and have only just bought a test kit & started testing. I'll get better - promise.

As of today I have water that has gone from +/-70% clear greenish, where you could see the bottom on the shallow end with still visible crud in places, some of which would move when you stirred it - to bluish and cloudy where you can just barely see bottom but lots less visible crud. I think I am making progress but could use some guidance.

Date5/30/20205/31/20206/1/20206/2/2020
Free Chlorine0537.5
Combined Chlorine0027.5
Total Chlorine0557.5
PH7.87.57
CYA0less than 30maybe a bit over 30
Acid Demand0.5
Alkalinity25
Calcium Hardness60
NotesFirst test. Green water and frogs. Dumped several (6?) gallons of chlorine over prior two days, and netting out muckWater less green, can see bottom in shallow end. Rigged up filter and pump to circulate water. More chlorine and 2 lbs baking soda.Water not green, but cloudy now. Added two more gallons of chlorine. Rained at night - turned off pump.Turned pump back on. Found some pool stabilizer stuff (in garage) and threw it in 'cuz nothing to lose really… Still blue but cloudy.

Hi there! Glad you're hear. Looks like you are a prime candidate to start your very first SLAM. Heres a few links for you to get started with, until the crew shows up.

Theres an amazing group of people here who just live for helping people like you get a crystal sparkly blue pool. Welcome!

How much stabilizer did you add? That will tell you your FC target. You say it's a bit over 30 (how are you testing?) So we suggest rounding up to 40 and using an FC target of 16.

Test your FC level 3-4 times per day minimum and use PoolMath to calculate how much liquid chlorine to add to get back to your target of 16. To speed up the process, test and add chlorine as much as once an hour until it starts to hold.

You should also continue removing as much of the solid debris as you can (scoop or vacuum it out) and brush your pool once or twice per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.