New Gunnite Pool- Should I plaster it with StoneScapes Mini Pebbles or finish it with Fiberglass?

Rarecrystal

Aug 12, 2020
Hello everyone! I've really enjoyed reading threads from this website during my pool construction. Thank you very much for that.

We live in So Cal and our pool is a new build that has been shotcreted already. It's 33 x 17 with a raised 7 x 7 spa. It has a baja shelf on one side and a raised bond beam on the other.

My husband and I are in the process of receiving bids for the tile install and the plaster finish. We've been quoted $8,500 for installation of the StoneScapes mini pebble with one bag of glass and $3,500 for the tile installation ($9 per sq ft.) Our quote for regular white plaster is $3,500. We are trying to stay away from a regular white plaster finish due to being told it doesn't last more than 10 years.

We recently discovered a local company that does Fiberglass finishes instead of plaster and expect the quote to be less than the StoneScapes based on preliminary research. Based on the company's website, they've been in business for over 25 years and state that the Fiberglass finish will last as long as the StoneScapes.

Based on their claim, we're seriously considering going with the Fiberglass pool since it costs less than the StoneScapes and is claimed to last just as long.

My question is, does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether Fiberglass will last as long as the StoneScapes? Also, does anyone NOT recommend using Fiberglass as our first finish?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have pretty limited experience with fiberglass over shotcrete, but I'm not a huge fan. The one pool I am familiar with had this done about 15 years ago, and has a few spots where it's starting to delaminate, and also has some real slippery spots. Also, when it does need to be replaced, your options are not great.

Plaster can last over 10 years if it's properly maintained, which you can learn how to do here. Also, you might shop around for other quotes, see if there is a Pebble Tec or Wet Edge dealer in your area. I have a Pebble Tec Pebble Fina finish in my pool, which is supposed to last a lot longer that plaster, and costs less than the traditional pebble finishes.

Ok, I didn't know PebbleFina costs less than traditional pebble finishes so thank you so much for that! I assumed it cost more since it was a smooth finish. I'm calling PebbleTech dealers now to get quotes. Thank you so much.

Ok, I didn't know PebbleFina costs less than traditional pebble finishes so thank you so much for that! I assumed it cost more since it was a smooth finish. I'm calling PebbleTech dealers now to get quotes. Thank you so much.

It *should* cost less, but I have heard that some dealers charge the same, so it may vary depending on dealer.

A properly applied pebble finish (pebbletec or it’s competition) will far outlast a fiberglass liner. quite frankly I’m surprised these are even sold anymore as their competition was plaster But with the advent of pebble products, they obsoleted fiberglass. There are many pebble product pools 25+ years old that still look perfect. I know of 2 friends with 15 year old fiberglass pools and both now show blistering..

Last edited:
A properly applied pebble finish (pebbletec or it’s competitio) will far outlast a fiberglass liner. quite frankly I’m surprised these are even sold anymore as their competition was plaster But with the advent of pebble products, they obsoleted fiberglass. There are many pebble product pools 25+ years old that still look perfect. I know of 2 friends with 15 hear old fiberglass pools and both now show blistering..

Ok. Thank you very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.