New Gunite Spa - questions

jrh1974

Silver Supporter
Apr 20, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
We just completed a rather significant outdoor project that included the installation of a gunite pool and spa. Both are separate and on separate systems. The gunite spa is 8'x8' and I estimate to be approximately 1200 gallons. My question has to do with how best to sanitize the spa moving forward. The pool will be SWG - closing soon, and just completed the 4 week period after plaster so we could not use the SWG this year.

The spa will be used year round. Testing and adding chemicals everyday isn't sustainable. Pool installer put in a Perform-Max pool sanitizer that can accommodate either chlorine or bromine. Installer recommended bromine, but after doing research on this site, I'm concerned about having a separate SWG chlorine pool and a bromine spa and the back and forth of guests from one to the other. So I'm decided on chlorine for now for the spa (unless experts here convince me otherwise).

What are your thoughts on the Perform-max sanitizer? Or should I have a SWG installed? I looked at the Saltron Mini, but appears this really only accommodates spas up to 600 gallons. I appreciate the feedback on how best to sanitize this spa with minimal effort and ongoing expense and headaches in the future. Thank you!

I would go with a SWG on the spa as well. I assume it is sitting out and exposed to the sun just like the pool?
Perhaps look at some of the smaller SWGs for AG pools? You can go large on the cell and just run at a very low output.

Yes, it does have a spa cover, but is right next to the pool and exposed to the sun. If I'm running all Jandy equipment, should I have the Jandy Trueclear SWG installed? or is there something more suitable for a 800 to 1200 gallon gunite spa?
thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.