New forum member- Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions

krfuquamd

Bronze Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Greenwood, SC
I'm so thankful to have found this website. I am a homeowner in South Carolina. I had a home built and custom pool put in in 2001. The pool is kidney shaped, about 40000 gallons with a 10 foot deep end. It has a Pebble Tec finish. it has a waterfall feature but no spa. I routinely run the pump 24 hours per day and do not close pool in the winter. Around november I quit swimming for the winter and no longer heat the pool until around March when I start thinking about raising the water temp by heater and getting the pool ready for the swim season. For the life of the pool until present I have used a Jandy cartridge filter( CL580) and a Jandy Pro Series .75 HP pump. Since the beginning I have used either a Nature2 Vision system or New Water Cycler Pool purifier for water decontamination and to, as was told to me, decrease the chlorine levels needed in the pool.

Over the years I have become unhappy and disillusioned with the quality of the local pool company in assisting me in keeping my pool properly calibrated so i am wanting to, with this site's help, take the role over myself completely.

I have a TF-100 test kit. My pool water temp at present is 73 degrees F. Three days ago I dumped 3 bags of chlorine "shock" in to the pool. At that time the water was very slightly cloudy but free of debris. The water initially blushed a light green then over about 48 hours became clear like it is now. I decided to test the water and here are the results:

pH-7.5
Cl 0
CH 400
TA 90
CYA 40

Yep, no chlorine!!

So I'd love any insight or recommendations on what to do next with the pool chemistry. Also, any thoughts on changes to the equipment or my method of pool management would be most appreciated. Thanks

krfuquamd

Welcome to TFP!

That blush of green is possibly iron. Are you on a well? If it happens some more we can work on that.

You can add your pool info to your sig so that it shows up in all your posts. More here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I would be inclined to SLAM Process the pool just to make sure there isn't any algae lurking. Cloudy water indicates an early algae bloom.

If you haven't changed the cartridges then you can get some new ones. I really prefer Pleatco filters. They are better, cheaper, easier to clean and stay clean longer.

If the pump is working fine I'd keep it for now. Though, there probably isn't any need to run 24x7. More here, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Do some reading in Pool School
Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And here, Pool School - Getting Started

And always keep your FC above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Is that enough for now? :)

Welcome to TFP!

That blush of green is possibly iron. Are you on a well? If it happens some more we can work on that.

You can add your pool info to your sig so that it shows up in all your posts. More here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I would be inclined to SLAM Process the pool just to make sure there isn't any algae lurking. Cloudy water indicates an early algae bloom.

If you haven't changed the cartridges then you can get some new ones. I really prefer Pleatco filters. They are better, cheaper, easier to clean and stay clean longer.

If the pump is working fine I'd keep it for now. Though, there probably isn't any need to run 24x7. More here, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Do some reading in Pool School
Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And here, Pool School - Getting Started

And always keep your FC above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Is that enough for now? :)

Yes, a great starting point. I will SLAM the pool and go from there. No well, city water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well just an update. Began the SLAM at 5:40pm today with addition of 5.5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. My CYA the day before was 40. 3 hours later(8:40pm) my FC=24.5 and CC=1. Should I check again before going to sleep or can i wait until daylight( around 6:30am ) ? Thanks.

This am at 6:30 FC 20.5 with CC 1. Added 1/2 gallon 10% chlorine. At noon FC 17 and CC .5. Added 1 gallon chlorine. Just now( 5pm ) FC 16 and CC .5. Added another gallon chlorine. Two questions:
1) Do I need to be checking any other pool chemistries( pH, TA, CYA, CH, etc..) during the SLAM
2) Is the yellow pollen that is presently falling out of the sky into my pool going to impact the ability to pass the SLAM?

Thanks all

No, no need to check the other things until the SLAM is complete. The pH test is not valid when FC is a over 10 ppm. No, the pollen shouldn't have much of an impact on the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.