New fill help

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
You all have helped me so much with my SWG pool that it is now easy!! Hoping to get to that same place with my hot tub, which at this point I hate.

I have read everything, including the how to use Bromine sticky - our preferred method. This weekend during our unusal 2 days of summer we purged using Ahh-Some, drained, scrubbed the tub and all jets, filled, ran another purge with Ahh-Some, drained and refilled again. I tested the fill water TA (40), CH (75) and pH (8.2). Based on these readings we added Hardness Plus, pH decrease and Baking Soda and then added the appropriate amount of Leasure Time Sodium Bromide - let all this run overnight.

Today I tested the following pH (8.2), CH (75), TA (40), and got no reading from the OTO test for Br (not surprising since I didn’t add any shock).

So my question now is should I shock or wait to deal with the too high pH, too low CH and too low TA? What should I do to lower the pH and raise the TA? I think I should wait on the CH as that may take a while to register, correct?

Also, should I be doing the TFTK chlorine drop test? Will that show me my Bromine level?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Up front I will say l know nothing about bromine so will leave that to someone else to answer. For decreasing ph you will use acid, just like in your pool. For your ta, what is the ta of your fill water? My tub is currently at 40 and with a TA of 60 for my fill water and my ph very stable, I am not messing with it. Typically when i top off my tub, it will raise my ta. But since you need to add acid you might need to bump it up just a tad with baking soda.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.