New Fiberglass Pool Startup - help guide me!

crimson avenger

Gold Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Pool just built and started up yesterday (see my thread here: Featured - New Construction (fiberglass) - Chicago, city proper ) . I was throwing a couple of cups of liquid chlorine in the pool every day before the pool was actually up and running to prevent having to do any major cleanup when the pool got started. Seemed to keep it looking clear. Just to get a hang of the pool and the test kit I recorded everything in the Pool Math app so you can see everything there.

Although our pool is less than 5000 gallons, the pool guy threw in a full gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine and threw 5 pucks (see pic attached, I don't know which kind of puck he actually used). So this morning I go to check the chemistry results which you can see in my Pool Math log.

Obviously there's nothing I can do about the FC of 28.5. I removed the pucks from the chlorinator.
The pH was high (checked with pH meter) so I added the recommended amount of muriatic acid.
I was going to wait to add CYA until the FC drops a bit.
Otherwise I wasn't planning on doing anything else.

Question#1: See my pH/chlorine reading. Both look completely off the charts to me. My pH meter is reading 7.8 now after adding the muriatic acid, but the test kit makes it seem very high. What gives?
Question#2: Any way to know what kind of pucks these are?
Question#3: Am I missing anything?IMG_3452.jpegIMG_3451.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.