New DIY Build in Central Texas (Wimberley)

Not that their are too many steps, just the height of each if they are going to be uniform.
Spa light on the wall closest to the house.
Sun ledge return line to remain on the same wall just to the middle of the ledge.
Over flow notch to the wall closest to the house.
Thickness of the coping? 3 1/2 - 4” ?
  • Sorry, coping thickness is 2".
  • I guess you are saying to move the tanning ledge return line ~2ft to the right so it pushes over the 2nd step of the tanning ledge?
  • Not sure I understand your overflow comment...it is flowing into the planter, so it would seem to be a good area to drain
  • I'm going to change the spa light...

thanks for your advice!

I linked to the SWCG page in my previous post, but here is a better place to start your research on chlorinating methods... How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I strongly encourage you to have a basic understanding of how you are going to care for your pool, before you are filling it with water. You have a great start by beginning your construction thread here. I found this place right after I received the bid from my PB, because I was researching the Intellicenter automation that they quoted. I found a great thread on that, read it, determined I was getting good equipment, and didn't return here until the build was almost complete and I thought "I know nothing about taking care of this thing". So I'm saying, don't do as I did.

Good luck, and ask any questions. There's a slew of folks here who love to answer questions and give guidance. TFP exists so that you can spend as little time as necessary taking care of your pool, and more time enjoying it. I will be on my 4th swim season this year, and taking care of this thing has been a walk in the park. Literally couldn't be easier. But that is all because of the information I found from this wonderful group of folks.

I do want to apologize, I jumped in all negative Nancy like and was not very welcoming. The pool design looks great. A couple of comments I have:

Plumbing - since you are the builder, make sure you have a plumbing layout to give the plumber so that he knows exactly how you want things ran. I would highly suggest for the skimmers and main drain to have dedicated runs back to the equipment pad. And seeing as you have 4 returns, I would split those into 2 and 2 that way you can isolate half of them, should anything arise in the future such as a leak in a return pipe, and still keep the pool operational.

Depth - 3' is extremely shallow. My shallow end is 3.5' and I wish I had done 4'. 5' is also shallow. Mine is 5' in the deep end. I bump my backside every time I cannonball. With these depths, your pool will turn into a bathtub in June/July/August. I would strongly consider adding some sort of pool chiller. Search the forum for them. We have several folks who have glacier chillers and say that they work very well. I wish I had done one.

Skimmers are both shown on the house side. I don't see prevailing winds shown on the plan. Typically you want the skimmers on opposing sides, and in line with the prevailing wind direction. For example, I am in NE Oklahoma and my skimmers are on the north and southeast sides of my pool. They both collect leaves very well.

Having no decking on the far side of the pool looks good, but consider the lawn maintenance and that weed eating/edging around that coping will cause a lot of debris to get into the pool. May consider adding a 2'-3' concrete apron or pavers along the far side to add some distance to help prevent this.

I think your plan of construction is good. You don't want the pool equipment set at a house that you are not occupying, as that invites trouble. One forum member is building a pool and house at the same time, and his builder set the equipment and the equipment was stolen almost immediately. You are going to want to have the equipment, so make sure you have a good place to store it all such as a storage unit, until you need it.

--Jeff
  • I will read the article you reference to educate myself on SWCG
  • Plumbing: I don't have any specific plans for plumbing since this is my first pool build, but your suggestions make sense and will be implemented.
  • I will change pool depth to 4ft and consider a pool chiller
  • skimmers: we have prevailing winds from left to right...so if I put 1 on the left side, where would I put the other one considering the tanning ledge on the right?
  • I plan on putting xeriscaping around left side so that we do not have to do any maintenance or weed eating around the Fastlane
  • good idea about the pool equipment!!
thanks for the feedback!

I've read a lot of threads about pool cleaners (suction vs pressure vs robot) and I can't say that I have come away with any definitive consensus. Some love robots, some love suction, and some love their pressure side. I'm leaning toward a pressure side cleaner (Pentair Racer) and installing a dedicated suction port for manual vacuuming. It appears that the robots cost a lot, expensive to maintain, break often, and need to be replaced every ~5yrs or so. I'm interested in reliability, longevity, and value...anybody want to convince me based on their personal experience? I'm open to suggestions.

thanks!

That is a tough decision. It's not just about the vacuum device itself. With water assisted products, there's the added expense of the booster pump and additional electricity. Pros & cons either way for sure. Heads or tails? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Crawdaddy
That is a tough decision. For a pressure or suction side cleaner, you have additional plumbing that may eventually fail and you may wind up with a robotic cleaner anyway. I don't know what the actual life of a robotic cleaner is as mine is only going on it's 3rd season. I have heard 5-7 years. Booster pumps need to be replaced, although probably on a lesser frequency than 5-7 years (one would hope).

When I built my pool, my first meeting with my PB, they didn't even consider suction or pressure cleaners, they offered a robotic cleaner as an option. I didn't ask them why as I wanted an in-floor cleaner, which is considerably more expensive and costs more to operate than the others, but I have been happy with it. I have the robotic cleaner mostly as a lazy man's way of brushing the pool.

If I am remembering correctly, I do remember one member, from Arizona I believe, building a second pool at a new house. Their previous had an in floor system, and they did not do the in-floor for the new pool. They mentioned that they regretted it. From what I understand Arizona is a lot a dust and sediment, which the in-floor systems are supposedly good at. I have had good luck with mine in NE Oklahoma where we get quite a bit of dust and a fair amount of leaves.

--Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdaddy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.