New concrete pool build

Louisegow

Jul 20, 2020
Belize
Hi. So glad I found this forum. You are likely to save my sanity. We are 2 Brits building a house with a pool (and a lazy river )in Belize. Our US builder was taken sick and had to go back to the US for a kidney transplant. We are now self building and doing pretty well. We have a great crew trained in everything concrete. We have plans for our pool - and plan to build in concrete with forms - so its going to take a while. We understand keeping the concrete wet etc. Our plan is to then plaster in pool plaster - we were originally going to go with diamond brite. Then I found Aquabright - thought that was our answer. But further research is telling me just plain pool plaster. We do not want any tiles anywhere. I noticed a few of you are experts in concrete and wondered if you could give my some confidence in our plan. Its very very hard to get things out here - so maintenance needs to be as easy as possible - we have ONE pool shop in the whole of the country - and they have most chemicals we need - but recently there have been distribution problems - so I need to be well organised. I will get pool kits sent over from Amazon. I have an equipment list from a pool supply company in Florida - via my plumber - its all pretty much Pentair - we will use cartridge filters. We cannot use Gunite it does not exist. Ideally would have liked to do pool in one pour - but thats not possible - and would prefer to build in forms slowly but surely. the pool is 40' x 20' with an additional tanning shelf of around 10' by 15'. There are no pool companies here. Most Belizean builders don't know how to build pools. Our crew have built a few smaller pools - one of which I know and is fine (using diamond brite). Most pools here have problems that did not have a great builder. We are also building a lazy river around the pool. Thats going to be a completely separate pool - for my sanity if nothing else. I want that heated - so they need to be separate. To start with I would like any advice anyone can offer regarding making sure the main pool is watertight. It's going to be built out of the ground (we are at sea level) and the pool is 6ft deep throughout. Oh I don't think I can get white portand cement or white sand here. Still checking that out. Any advice gratefully received. The pump room is going to be under the tanning shelf - we have loads of room for the pumps and pipes etc there. The house and pool are being built on pilings - they go about 20ft into the ground. They are already in and we have poured the foundations for the pump room/bunker. We are about to start to build the bunker. Very excited but also scared - we only have one chance to get this right. Thank you.

Hey Louise and Welcome !! Also thank you in advance for sharing this wild ride with us. It sounds pretty amazing.

Reactions: Louisegow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.