New Coleman Oval pool- Want to do it right the first time so I have some questions

Mar 28, 2017
SC
Hey everyone! I've been lurking a long time, but finally got a pool. It's a Coleman Power Steel Oval pool 26'x12'x52". The box says it's 7,966 gallons, but when I put the numbers in the pool math calculator I came up with 9000? It's possible I put the numbers in wrong.

Anyway, if I read correctly, if I buy a SWG, I won't have to add bleach daily? Would a SWG work with the pump that came with this pool? I can't really find anything about it except it says the pump flow rate is 2000 gallons and system flow rate is 1500 gallons and it's called SmartTouch. I was thinking of the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System if that would work with my filter pump.

I know I need a TF100 Test Kit, but would I need the Taylor K1766 salt test also?

Any other helpful hints about set up and anything else I might need to get started?

Thanks!

Nancy :flower:

Hello Nancy and welcome to TFP! :wave: I wouldn't worry too much about the exact gallons at this time. Maybe use 8,00 for now, then you can always modify that number in the PoolMath APP profile later. You are correct about the SWG. If you have one in use you won't need to add chlorine/bleach daily. You can use an SWG with that pool, sure. Of course Intex is very popular and provides several economical products for consumers. I also believe that Intex and Coleman fittings are the same size which should make connections easier. If you go salt, it's always good to have a K-1766 salt test kit as well. While SWGs tend to have their own way of monitoring salt levels, it's good to be able to validate on your own.

Besides that, just make sure the ground is absolutely level when you have that pool installed. It shouldn't be out-of-level more than one inch. There are lots of great AGP install threads here at TFP, so feel free to search and ask questions. Have a nice day.

I use Morton's Pool salt sold at Walmart in the pool section. I think Lowes, HomeDepot also sell it. I plugged in 8000 gallons to pool math and came up with about 214 lbs of salt to get to 3200 ppm. The Morton's I buy comes in 40 lbs bags. When adding it to the pool, I always put in less than what it says I need and test. Then add more and test again. The only way to remove salt is by draining, so it's better to put in too little than too much. I do use the Taylor salt test. When I first set my pool up, I add liquid chlorine (plain bleach) to get the FC where it needs to be, and then I add my salt and start up my swg to maintain the correct FC level. You'll want to add your CYA (stabilizer) as well using the sock method (pour it in a sock and hang it in front of a return to dissolve).
So to get started: CYA, plain bleach or liquid chlorine (1 jug will be more than enough if you get a swg), and pool salt if you get an swg.
As far as the swg working with your pump, I'm not sure. I'd assume it would since you're looking at the intex one. I bought the combo sand filer/pump/swg, so I'm not familiar with the separately sold units. Good luck with your build!!

Thanks @scout123 ! I'm glad you told me not to add too much salt. So I'll need around 6 bags of salt to get started. Do you have to add a lot of salt during the season? Just want to know how much I'll need to keep around. I'll have to get some CYA, will I need a lot of it?

Thanks!
Nancy :flower:

I have never needed to add salt during the season. If you use a swg, you'll want your CYA around 70. For your size pool, it looks like you need around 75 oz.(dry granules) I bought mine at Walmart and it came in a 4 lb container. And like the salt, you want to put less in and build up, because, like salt, the only way to lower CYA is to drain out water.
*These numbers that I'm giving you are from pool math and based on 8000 gallons, so you may need a bit less if your pool isn't 8,000 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.