new build pump and filter question

carof77

May 25, 2016
Vermont
I live in Northern Vermont. There isn't a lot of people around to install a pool for us. We finally found someone 1.5 hours away who agreed to sell us a pool and install it.
We bought a 27x52 above ground pool.
My question is: he quoted us for a 19" sand filter with a 1HP pump, maybe to keep the cost down because it's already costing us a pretty penny. I did some research online and it seems small for the size of the pool.
Should I ask for a bigger pump and filter?

A 1hp is just about the right size if you HAVE to stay with a single speed pump...

If it were me I would go ahead and get a great big cartridge filter and a VS pump.. You want a new pump that can go fast when needed and slow 95% of the time.. Below are the cheapest prices I have found lately for pumps and filters..

If you want a bigger pump the 3hp is great as it will use less power running a lower speed.. The 1.5 hp is probably a better fit for your pool, I have a 1.65hp on mine at 15k gallons and it is just fine.. :)

If you have to or want to stay with a sand filter..

More pump options. Same as the Circupools, only cheaper. Compare specs and owner's manuals for each.

@cowboycasey, didn't you buy one of these?

A 1hp is just about the right size if you HAVE to stay with a single speed pump...

If it were me I would go ahead and get a great big cartridge filter and a VS pump.. You want a new pump that can go fast when needed and slow 95% of the time.. Below are the cheapest prices I have found lately for pumps and filters..

If you want a bigger pump the 3hp is great as it will use less power running a lower speed.. The 1.5 hp is probably a better fit for your pool, I have a 1.65hp on mine at 15k gallons and it is just fine.. :)

If you have to or want to stay with a sand filter..

ok. so I def want a bigger filter. I will stick with sand.
For the pump, if I eventually want to add a solar water heater, I would need the bigger pump right?
I bought the dolphin e10, I hope I dont have too much vacuuming to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.