Bay Area, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Morning folks. Searched and found a few discussions about this but was 2017 and earlier so wanted to post a new thread for any new info found since then.

We are having plumbing/electrical installed this weekend and our neighbor who is using the same builder had there autofill/pool pad water hooked up to the irrigation line instead of the nearest hose bib.

I ran it by my construction manager who confirmed we can do it as well if we choose (no additional costs as well).

I am going to get more details Saturday when I talk to plumbing sub as my neighbor can't recall seeing any valves or what have you installed near the sprinkler valves for the pool water lines. Some of the threads I found mentioned pressure valves or something to that effect that should be installed? He is on vacation and said he will check when he gets home but that will be after our plumbing goes in so I want to get this down right.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about the downsides. Here is what I came up with while searching. Any merit to warrant concern?

1. Possible water contamination issues from irrigation lines with fertilizer/pest spray/animal waste/etc making its way into pool lines. We are in Northern California but I saw the thread about Texas having municipal codes not allowing this type of connection due to these risks.

2. What if I need to shut off irrigation valves to do irrigation sprinkler work in cases of leaks etc? Our irrigation line connects to the house main water line via a T connector, and there is a shut off valve right there for the irrigation lines (if that makes sense?). If I shut this valve off then that would shut off my autofill correct?

I like the idea of not connecting to hose bib but not sure if it's a better choice.

Thanks for any input. Will post pictures of our irrigation area later when the sun comes out.

A backflow valve will prevent the exchange of water between the irrigation line and autofill.

My autofill line is connected to the irrigation that feeds the sprinkler valves. I have a combo on/off valve and backflow valve so I can shut off water to the autofill. The valve that controls the flow of water to the pool is located within the autofill well poolside (its basically a toilet valve). If the valve to the irrigation system is shutdown, the autofill loses its water supply as well.

Don't confuse this type of plumbing with owners that use a sprinkler valve as the autofill.

That aside, do you have hard water? If so, and you have a whole home water softener, I highly recommend connecting the fill line to the softened water. Calcium levels increase overtime as a result of evaporation. If you can connect to softened water, you probably will never need to drain and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.