New Build - Long Island : Question about dogs & more

Jun 21, 2017
Oakdale, NY
Hi Everyone -

Super excited over here- we are just beginning the process/waiting for permits! So far we have decided on essentially everything but I am going back and forth in my head about one aspect of the pool and I hope to get some insight from you guys :) Bear in mind that I am very new to all of this and my pool lingo/knowledge is not there yet.

We are getting a 22x36 free form concrete wall vinyl lined pool. The liner is going to be Platinum Onyx by Loop Loc (28mm). It will have a salt water system. We are deciding on a water wall but that isn't what I'm having trouble with.

We have two young dogs, a 125lb Great Dane and an 80lb mixed breed. The mixed breed is not a fan of pools, we tried last summer while on vacation and he would rather sunbathe, maybe this will change maybe it won't. We just rescued our Dane this past Fall so we aren't too sure how she is with pools, she doesn't like the hose and she tolerates baths. The salesperson suggested we opt for the fiberglass steps rather than the vinyl lined ones because of the size of our Dane... However, her nails don't even come close to touching the ground when she walks because of how their paws are, so I don't think she would be an issue. With respect to our other dog, I am pretty good with keeping his nails trimmed. The sales guy did warn that the fiberglass steps were less aesthetically pleasing and are much more narrow than the built-in vinyl steps which people often use to sit/hang out on. He just felt it would be a smarter choice to get fiberglass with dogs.

I am torn... I haven't really seen any photos of a free form pool with fiberglass steps and the pool company didn't have any examples in a free form shape to show me.

I read a few older posts about vinyl liners and dogs but it didn't help much with my decision on the stairs. I don't even know if the dogs will like going in the pool.

Does anyone have a vinyl lined free form pool with fiberglass steps that they wouldn't mind showing me?
Does anyone have vinyl lined steps with dogs - if so, any advice?

Aside from the above - I have another newbie question. We live on Long Island and have an extremely high water table. Have any fellow LIers in high water table areas had any issues with concrete walled pools or floating liners/washout situations?

Thanks everyone for reading! Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!! :D

I have two dogs, one that can't stay out of the water and one that just likes the top step. Both are around 60 lbs and have jumped off our top step, so they definitely dug their nails in. I was told by our PB (pool builder) that the vinyl is thicker for the stair, it does feel thicker to me.

If they do end up loving the water, I'd recommend putting hair nets in the skimmers. Both my dogs shed a lot and I really don't like doing pool maintenance (cleaning the filter).

Congrats on the pool and enjoy the build!

Thank you for your reply! I made a decision today to go w/ the vinyl lined steps over the fiberglass. Worse comes to worst if the dogs love the pool and I'm worried about the steps, I will put the pool booties on them that I hear people mention.

Thanks for the tip about the hairnets - Anything to save time/maintenance is fabulous! Mine aren't huge shedders but they definitely do shed!

Thank you ☺ Cannot wait!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.