New build infinity

Panapat

Oct 31, 2021
Panama
Hi everyone as I said in my introduction, I am building a infinity pool, which now has started and here are the preliminary snaps. The groundwork was done by an excavator and the basis of the pool will have a further 2 meter terrace where you see the geotex. The pool will be 5 m x 15 m and will have infinity edges on two sides. I have had to carry all material to my plot by 4x4 as no lorries can get to it. I plan on running two solar DC pumps, about 3/4 hp each. One for the skimmers and one for the infinity edge basin. The panels are attached to a solar tracker to optimize running with an option for battery backup. I was curious regarding the use of skimmers and have read the comments, however as the prevailing wind will keep tree debris out of the basin, I believe that it suits my purpose. One question that has not been raised is where in relationship to the water level of the edge, should they be installed? Any questions comments appreciated.

Attachments

• foundation.jpg
    foundation.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 110
  • retaing wall.jpg
    retaing wall.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 109
  • slab level of retaining wall].jpeg
    slab level of retaining wall].jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 111
You bring up a good question that has received some interesting discussions as noted in this thread:

You can see where certain details about the pool drive the effectiveness and/or need for a skimmer in your type of pool.

I'll tag @JamesW and @mas985 to see if they have any updated thoughts on this one. :)

A skimmer can be beneficial if you plan on operating the pool without running the edge. Continuous operation of the edge will tend to increase PH and energy costs although perhaps not in your case given the use of DC pumps.

However, are you sure that pump can deliver enough flow rate for an edge? You need either high flow rates or a very straight edge to have uniform edge flow. Any deviation in edge height requires more flow rate to compensate for the defect. Otherwise, it will dribble over edge in different spots and not have the correct effect.

A skimmer can be beneficial if you plan on operating the pool without running the edge. Continuous operation of the edge will tend to increase PH and energy costs although perhaps not in your case given the use of DC pumps.

However, are you sure that pump can deliver enough flow rate for an edge? You need either high flow rates or a very straight edge to have uniform edge flow. Any deviation in edge height requires more flow rate to compensate for the defect. Otherwise, it will dribble over edge in different spots and not have the correct effect.
I am going to use a 316 stainless steel profile that can be adjusted, so I get the accuracy.

I added a few more photos of the construction, this next week we start the walls, probably three pours, all manual. I have decided to run one pump during the day, this will be tied into the solar heating panels feeding into three low mounted nozzles in the pool. I am contemplating on controlling the flow via a honeywell 1" three way valve, the solar connection is 1.25"

VC Series Motorized Zone Valves​

We start the second pour for the inner walls this week. Basin is done, lights are in this pour and the skimmers go in the final pour, I am going to have a 316 ss throat extension fabricated as I don't want to embed the units into the 260 mm concrete. As I have two solar pumps on separate systems I have purchased two sand filters and a Chlorinator. The chlorinator will sanitize the basin water and the UV will sanitize the solar water heaters that will run only during the day.

Attachments

• processed-ad62d4f3-36a7-4c55-83f1-1fdfab32b74d_Z8qACrvY.jpeg
    processed-ad62d4f3-36a7-4c55-83f1-1fdfab32b74d_Z8qACrvY.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 100
  • processed-ad7bb403-8f91-441d-a0de-3fb7fa342b41_uTUCAFdr.jpeg
    processed-ad7bb403-8f91-441d-a0de-3fb7fa342b41_uTUCAFdr.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 101
  • processed-67108242-087e-43d4-822f-ec1bfa0d65e9_xqJ43MBl.jpeg
    processed-67108242-087e-43d4-822f-ec1bfa0d65e9_xqJ43MBl.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 100
  • processed-36b0b524-1f37-4164-b2b3-761fe7e0d8cf_HniwXN3l.jpeg
    processed-36b0b524-1f37-4164-b2b3-761fe7e0d8cf_HniwXN3l.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 101
Here is the solar pump room layout, Pump on right is the feed from pool drain to solar heating and UV sanitizer, Pump on the left if feed from the basin and Chlorine feed, UV is not enough to keep the pool from going green. Center snap is the basin level, it will trip the pump if it ever goes dry. Snap on the right is the solar pump panels and tracker, four panels each pump. I can also feed pumps by battery. Pool is still filling as I am filling with rain water, well isn't dug yet.

Attachments

• processed-1520c293-47ed-41b9-9778-3c63641cecf5_2qbLvvdU.jpeg
    processed-1520c293-47ed-41b9-9778-3c63641cecf5_2qbLvvdU.jpeg
    961.8 KB · Views: 35
  • processed-4fb67c64-a3d6-4d8f-a962-290031002e3a_XZBA4aar.jpeg
    processed-4fb67c64-a3d6-4d8f-a962-290031002e3a_XZBA4aar.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 36
  • processed-0eeef06b-726f-4a8a-8db6-7af5f889f34b_7ktFiiJi.jpeg
    processed-0eeef06b-726f-4a8a-8db6-7af5f889f34b_7ktFiiJi.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! Can you add some more photo's of the area that you will use to enter the pool? I'm getting ready to have detailed construction plans prepared and would like to compare to your finished product.

Thanks.

Chris

Reactions: Panapat
Looks great! Can you add some more photo's of the area that you will use to enter the pool? I'm getting ready to have detailed construction plans prepared and would like to compare to your finished product.

Thanks.

Chris
Will do Chris. Monday we start tiling the two terraces, the other end of the photo will have the access, at the shallow end. I also intend to put a ladder at the deep end, so two access.

Almost complete, had a problem with two check valves which I had bought, cheap isn't always good! But difficult to get off the shelf here in Panama. Now looking for a good battery operated pool cleaner that will pick up dust and other debris, any ideas?

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 37
  • concrete then morter.jpg
    concrete then morter.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 35
  • pool ladder.jpg
    pool ladder.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 35
  • pool lights.jpg
    pool lights.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
  • preterrace.jpg
    preterrace.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 39
  • terracing.jpg
    terracing.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 38
  • rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 38
Wow! Gorgeous pool. Can you provide any information on operability? I'm doing a pool with infinity and knife edge on the other 3 sides. I am getting detailed construction drawings in about 2 weeks. I've read that the design is a little sensitive to volume swings that occur when people enter and leave the pool. This can cause over flow of the pool and/or catch basin or air locking of the basin pump. Seems to me this would be fairly easy to design for so I'm just curious if you've had any issues in this area.

Chris

The catch basin is large and I can adjust how much water it will hold by increasing or decreasing the length of the overflow pipe. I also have a level control which will turn of the pump in the event of it going dry, although there is also an auto water filler fed from a rain holding tank, the pump is a variable speed pump. In practice, I haven't had more than two people in it so I cannot comment on how it functions with half a dozen kids jumping in and out, lol. The experts say you need a basin large enough to hold two inches of your main pool level. I do have an issue in getting a chlorine reading. The chlorine is fed via Pentair Inline Chlorine/Bromine Feeder #320 by the basin pump. Its connected to the bottom and probably not sufficient, so I will try the top connection. I also have a UV sanitizer so I shouldn't need much chlorine, but I would still like to see a reading of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.