New Build- Georgia

rfletch333

Sep 21, 2020
Georgia
Hey Guys!

I'm just learning about pools through reading the forum. We have a small pool in our backyard and initially we were going to just do a renovation however given the size free form 11 X 22 we decided if we were going to spend the money to remodel we might as well make it larger. So basically we are doing a whole new build after we demo the existing pool.

I do not have as many specifics as it seems you all usually put on your new builds. But here it goes.

-Gunite free form pool - 16 X 32 (depends on what fits in the space may be slightly larger) along with 7 foot spa that flows into pool
-PB uses Hayward Equipment and Automation ( I have requested the product names and model numbers- he is supposed to get back with me)
- SWG- Turbocell 40k
-2 Skimmers
-1 light in main pool (plan to ask for 2) and 1 light in spa
-Depth- thinking 3.5 to 5 foot (although considering 5.5)
- Pavers for decking (considering Belgard)- I love a light grey haven't decided yet though
- uncertain for coping yet (PB uses flagstone for his free forms- however I know the forums say SW can deteriorate and I'm not in love with the look)
- PebbleSheen- Blue Surf I think is where I am leaning
- 6X6 tiles- TBD

Again, I am very new with all of this so be kind. I am at a loss for what type of coping is available for free form pools that is not flagstone. Also don't think I want travertine (I love the look) but think it will be slippery and I have a toddler.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Hiya! I'm here in Georgia also.

First off- make sure you and the builder are on the same page regarding *Water Depth vs Wall Height*. I can't tell you how disappointed some folks have been when their pool ends up being 6" more shallow than expected. Water depth is usually about 6" lower than top of pool.

Are you *sure* about such a shallow pool? What's the family make up?? 3'6" is so shallow. 5' doesn't allow much fun in the way of diving or cannon balls.... swimming down for treasure.... Remember that a shallow pool will also warm up to feel like a swamp come late July. Deeper water stays cooler.

32' long pools benefit from at least 2 LED lights along the side. I have 2 but wish I had 3. C'est la vie!

Good plan on the SWG. If you're getting automation make sure all your equipment is of the same brand so that they know how to talk to each other.

Please add pics to this thread as the tear out and reconstruction goes on. We *love* us some juicy build threads with pics.

Maddie :flower:

Maddie,

Thanks for the response. Yeah I am unsure as to depth- I don't want the slope to be too steep. What would you recommend? 4' to 6'?

I was thinking a light in the shallow end and one is the deep end? Do you think it would be beneficial to have lights on the side as well?

So much to learn- so little time.

Here is a picture of the old pool before demo tomorrow...

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpg
    IMG_5956.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 37
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.