New Build (Finally!)- Houston, TX - Starting this week! (hopefully)

JMSMommy

Bronze Supporter
Sep 26, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi All,

We finally decided on a builder and signed our contract last week. We are doing a pool, spa, outdoor attached patio, and fire pit. :oops: We went with one builder that does everything mainly because I personally did not want to deal with different companies in my back yard. Figured one PM is better to deal with then multiple.

Starting this build thread as a good reference point. I have two major questions:

1) I am a crazy lady and staked out the backyard yesterday to make sure the size would work. I staked out the water size and my husband and I think we need to expand by a foot or two and maybe increase the spa to 8x8 instead of 7x7 (water size). Are we crazy for thinking this? Attaching pictures of the stake out. The orange flags is the outline for the patio, the blue flags are the pool outline (wall, stairs, bubble gushers landing area), the pink flags are the spa and "swim" lane. Hopefully it makes sense! It's hard to tell sizing even with the flags.

2) I need to do the material selection in a week; what things do I need to keep in mind when selecting materials? We have a salt water pool with two raised walls. Already planning on travertine decking and coping. My main concern is the raised wall. What material should I stick with especially since we have water features on those walls and a salt water pool.

Pool size:
33x19.5 for half then 33x15 where the spa is with 2 raised walls
7x7 spa
18,000 gallons
112 perimeter

Note: The pool currently goes to the build line (15 feet from the back fence) but we can go past that. We do have a 7 feet from the back of the fence utility easement. We are planning on landscaping along the fence.

Thanks All!

Attachments

• Design 7_005.jpg
    Design 7_005.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Design 7_007.jpg
    Design 7_007.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 84
I think it is all personal choice and how you plan to use your pool. Our spa is a 7' diameter round spa ad it seems large for us. I like you overall design, but why not have the firepit closer to the patio area? We are also in the Houston area and use our outdoor kitchen and firepit all year, I am not sure it would get as much use if it were across the pool from the patio.

I think it is all personal choice and how you plan to use your pool. Our spa is a 7' diameter round spa ad it seems large for us. I like you overall design, but why not have the firepit closer to the patio area? We are also in the Houston area and use our outdoor kitchen and firepit all year, I am not sure it would get as much use if it were across the pool from the patio.

Yes good point about the fireplace, however we went back and forth about this so much when designing and finally decided on where it is (It is rotated now from what is in the picture above - we also didn't want to overcrowd the outside area of the outdoor patio. I also was debating putting a fireplace in the outdoor living space, but that was just pushing me way over my budget.

The fire pit is an easy walk from the back entrance of the home, so in my head, I imagine that it will be okay. =)

Hi Everyone!

Made some updates last week...increased the pool by a foot and also increased the spa to a 8x8 (water dimension) and removed the weeping water feature on one of the raised walls. Picked out my materials and now just waiting for HOA and City permits! So exciting! I'll update once we start. In the meanwhile, what should I read and get ready for? I feel like I need to make a checklist for the various milestones. Does anyone already have that?

Here are the pool specs:

Geometric Pool with two raised wall
Pool Dimensions: 33x20.5x16
Spa Dimensions: 8x8
Perimeter 113
Gallons: 17,000
Dept Max: 5.5
1500 sq ft decking
3 bubble gushers
3 sheer descents
Attached covered patio with kitchen

Equipment:
Jandy Aqualink PDA 8
Jandy Aqualink
CV580 filter
Dolphin Cleaning Robot (haven't picked one yet)
Jandy Salt Cell PLC 1400 APUREM Power
JXI 400,000 BTU
Jandy Epump Variable Speed
2HP Water Feature Pump
1.5 HP Dedicated Spa Pump
Jandy Watercolor LED Lights for Pool and Spa
Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

Attaching updated pictures.

Attachments

• Design-Final_001 copy.jpg
    Design-Final_001 copy.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Design-Final_009 copy.jpg
    Design-Final_009 copy.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Girija
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.