New Build - Depth Opinions

Jun 2, 2017
Canada
Hello all, hoping for some opinions and thoughts around pool depths… I know – yet another pool depth thread :)
Building our first inground pool, it will be a 16x32 flat back kidney shape. The stock plan the builder put forward to us for review has the following depths and lengths:
- 3’4’’ depth shallow end for 7’5’’ in length
- 14’ of transition slope
- 7’ depth deep end for 6’ in length
We are thinking we’d like more usable shallow end space, but also feel like 3’4’’ is a bit too shallow for the shallow end and we suggested 3’8’’ to 3’10’’. And we are also comfortable going as shallow as 6’ in the deep end. After communicating this to builder, the 2nd design came back as follows:
- 3’4’’ depth shallow end for 10’ in length
- 14’ of transition slope
- 7’ depth deep end for 3’5’’ in length
Now, maybe I’m missing something here – but 3’5’’ length of deep end seems small. And they didn’t address the 3’4’’ shallow end depth at all. The builder mentioned that due to my stairs insert, that going to a depth of 3’10’’ would cause the steps to be off and that he could add in a vinyl step at the bottom (which would like cost more $) and likely have to relocate the stair insert off to the side a little more.
Any suggestions would be helpful. I think we are trying to balance the usage of the pool. We have kids that are not little (11 and 13), want more shallow end space to hang out in. But we also want kids to be able to jump a little (with a no diving rule). Feeling is more time will be spent in the shallow end...
I’m probably overthinking all this… first world problems for sure.
Thanks!

I also had this dilemma. I was going 4' to 8' because I'll have a jump rock. I chickened out at the last second and went 3' 9" in shallow end. Unfortunately transition takes up a lot of space. I think I have 8' of shallow before the drop off starts
66611f780f471cda5a5f55718785c45b.jpg

It's a tough decision for sure. Many people feel 4' is the right shallow end depth and 3'6" is too shallow, much less 3'4". For your kids, it certainly would be fine. But what this really points to is your PB's lack of flexibility with design issues and listening to what you want. I get the step issue, but there must be plastic steps that are one step deeper (maybe not?) But regardless, I certainly wouldn't be getting a warm fuzzy from him. Sounds like a heart to heart is in order to help you determine if he's your guy. Better to learn that now versus later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.