New Build - Complete

Finally after long wait dig was completed last week and partial plumbing done today . PB told me pool will be smaller than what I see considering gunite and coping will go over this structure . How much space should I leave for these things when I measure it to ensure size is correct . Thank you ...

Attachments

• ACF2F4A4-81E6-42D7-B084-DD4776434FBA.jpeg
    ACF2F4A4-81E6-42D7-B084-DD4776434FBA.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
PB told me pool will be smaller than what I see considering gunite and coping will go over this structure . How much space should I leave for these things when I measure it to ensure size is correct . Thank you ...
Look at your contract regarding gunite thickness. it is in the range of 8-12inches so that provides you some estimate to remove from the overall dimensions of the form. Also, when they lay rebar, that will lay in the middle of the gunite, so that is another point to confirm measurements before they actually put in the gunite. Your top of coping will be about 4-6 inches above the water level. If you think about your waterline tile, the water level will be in the middle of it, so that distance above the waterline plus the thickness of your coping gets you to ground level.

Read the following which gives some additional guidance on gunite thickness and other items of interest

Reactions: Texasresident
Thanks a lot , I will look into the contract . Does same apply to length and breadth as well Eg. if gunite is 12 inches on both sides so total length should be 2 feet more than what’s in contract (40*20 feet)
So if you use 10 inches for walls, Then the excavated width and length should be 20 inches (+/-) larger. It is best to look at the construction drawings as to what they are planning for concrete thickness as every area is different.

Looking for feedback if anyone has lighted sheer descents in their pool . PB provided estimate of $850 each installed and I have three of them so total of $2550 . This is way above I was looking to spend for the look :).. So wanted to see if anyone has them installed..

Last edited:
Looking for feedback if anyone has lighted sheer descents in their pool . Water feature is visible from living room so I thought it would look great if it can be lighted . PB provided estimate of $850 each installed and I have three of them so total of $2550 . This is way above I was looking to spend for the look :).. So wanted to see if anyone has them installed..
I am curious about that as well. I would love to have ones that matched the lights of my microbrites.

I have a single 4 footer with multicolour led strip. It is a focal point and looks superb..

My free advice - if you think you might regret not getting it, then do whatever you need to get it. Once the pool is finished it can be a lot more difficult and expensive to put it in and make it look seamless.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Happy Friday - more updates . Rebar and plumbing is almost complete . One thing confusing to me is the raised wall for sheer descents (24 inches) and other two 12 inches high wall running along back is not part of concrete shell - PB is saying he will make it later after gunite is complete . Some of the build pictures I have seen here they are done before gunite .. is one way better than other ? I think it’s better to be part of one monolithic structure incase things move .. but not sure as building first time 😊

Attachments

• C27D3588-BDEF-4DA0-9700-5D964ACCC8CB.jpeg
    C27D3588-BDEF-4DA0-9700-5D964ACCC8CB.jpeg
    800.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 0847E480-C0A8-4C7E-9703-C3BD864D4F4A.jpeg
    0847E480-C0A8-4C7E-9703-C3BD864D4F4A.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Reactions: KBR
Response from builder -
“I can insure a straight and perfect finish by using cinder blocks with ledger stone the gunite backing will have calcium bleed through where the cinder blocks will not therefore when we build raised walls with ledge stone we use cinder blocks “

Any feedback is appreciated not sure how accurate this reason is or he is trying to save money ..

My raised walls were formed with rebar and then gunited over. See before and after pics here.

Will your PB use any sort of rebar in between the cinder blocks to ensure it's all connected or "tied in" together?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210921-204543_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210921-204543_Gallery.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 63
  • SmartSelect_20210921-204609_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210921-204609_Gallery.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Texasresident
For perimeter overflow spa - I have seen spa walls built different ways - at angle ( reverse negative 15-30 degree) and flat walls . Wanted to see if anyone has opinion or benefit of one over the other .. with angled walls you get more pressure of water and it looks more dramatic whereas with flat walls you sit and overall spa looks little bigger even though inside is same for both ..
So not sure which way to go so looking for feedback @bdavis466 .

Last edited:
Negative wall towards inside of spa. Builds surface pressure for a farther spill and when the pump is off the spillway is under water and no calcium deposits form on the horizontal surface of the tile. This is how all my pools are built for that exact reason.

Attachments

• F9CAFADD-31F8-42F5-830C-3363E6818102.jpeg
    F9CAFADD-31F8-42F5-830C-3363E6818102.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.