New AG owner, couple of questions

mgca

Jul 27, 2022
Montreal
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello,

We just got a new above ground pool installed about three weeks ago and I am looking for some guidance as a first time pool owner. Generally, things are not so bad using pool store chemicals, I'd like to align myself more with the TFPC approach for the comfort and cost reductions. I have ordered a TF100 test kit, but in the meantime I have to rely on the occasional pool store test or test strips.

Previously, tests have been a bit all over the place and it seemed like algae was starting to proliferate. I might have also been given wrong advice at some point by increasing TA way beyond acceptable levels and then having to bring it down completely using basically a full jug (4L) of muriatic acid. Now things seems to stabilize, although all tests point to low FC levels (<0.5) and low CYA (5). Water is only very slightly cloudy without visible algae or slimy walls.

Chlorination
I've been using pucks for chlorination and I've been told to not worry about low CYA because of the way they slowly release chlorine over time, now from my understanding I could also just add some amount of bleach / liquid chlorine as well as some "stabilizer" to bring it back more in line. Could I, in that case, continue using pucks (until I run out) and carefully monitor CYA?

Cartridge filter
I've been monitoring the pressure and no major issues I believe, but I was wondering if previous algae problems could eventually lead to algae building up in the filter and requiring an early cleanup?

Valves
Lastly, not sure if it was a mistake during installation, but it does not seem like my setup has enough valves to prevent water from draining the pool while doing pump or filter maintenance. There are two diverter valves, one below the skimmer (for the main drain) and another above the pump. I would like to install additional valves, are there any preference in using gate valves over ball valves (or any other valves)? While I'm at it I'm planning to bury the pipes in ground, possibly adding a few 90° elbows, anything I should be aware of in terms of impact to flow rate?

Thanks for your help!

I've been using pucks for chlorination and I've been told to not worry about low CYA because of the way they slowly release chlorine over time, now from my understanding I could also just add some amount of bleach / liquid chlorine as well as some "stabilizer" to bring it back more in line. Could I, in that case, continue using pucks (until I run out) and carefully monitor CYA?
False. You should always be concerned about your current CYA level and the use of tabs for long-term use is discouraged. Certainly add liquid chlorine as necessary to keep-up wiht the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. New water has no CYA, so a minimum CYA of 30 should've been added on day one of fill.

I've been monitoring the pressure and no major issues I believe, but I was wondering if previous algae problems could eventually lead to algae building up in the filter and requiring an early cleanup?
Algae is a chemical issue. No amount of filtration will eradicate algae. Once you receive your test kit, you'll need to follow the SLAM Process to kill & remove algae.

it does not seem like my setup has enough valves to prevent water from draining the pool while doing pump or filter maintenance.
Post some pics for us to see your set-up.

We're happy to help you through any/all pool and water needs. Be sure to review out Pool Care Basics page and post a full set of test results once you receive your kit.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: ghall6292
Thanks for the welcome! Really appreciate the help!

Ok so I went ahead and added some pool store stabilizer as well as some bleach, I'll do a strip test in a couple of hours and adjust accordingly (can't wait for the test kit to arrive!)

In regards to algae, let me rephrase to make sure I understood, if algae was ever present, I need to perform the SLAM to get rid of it and in the future as long as I'm following the proper TPFC levels there should be no algae present anywhere in the system?

Now for the setup, this is what I'm working with, I think I got this right... from what I could see the diverter valve below the skimmer honest allow me to block off the heat pump route and the other valve above the pump simply would drain the pool (I unless I can block off the "backwash" end somehow)?
Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 17.53.13.pngIMG_2841.jpgIMG_2842.jpg
Edit: I realized I labelled everything backward

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.