New 33' above ground pool - appreciate help on stabilizer instruction?

Jagson20

Jun 28, 2020
Freeland MI
History: I have owned a 24' round and several Intex pools in the past, never really was good at figuring out chemicals (although I always used liquid chlorine but when problems arose, I fell for the "extra" products that appeared to solve all problems and never did), lots of trial and error - should've known better... took ~5 years off, then when I decided to get a larger pool for our family, a friend told me about TFP - what a great organization/website, and PoolMath is great!.

I'm barely learning and have lots to read yet - read all of the basic / entry level articles so far, but I just opened up my 33' pool (wow lots of water) so now quickly wanting to get on top of this from the start. Very hesitant to add anything unless I have consulted my app and TFP first! ;) Filled with local city water. Purchased the TF100 kit ahead of time. Have added liquid chlorine several does so far, adjusted pH down using dry acid per TFP recommendations after checkng pH and TA. Chlorine is going away quickly after checking multiple times a day - and of course I haven't done anything with stabilizer, so I realize this is my next step. Can you provide advice or link to the best instructions? I plan to run the CYA test and go find one of the recommended forms based on the "Recommended chemicals" and ABCs articles. Just not sure of the complete instructions as I couldn't find them in 1 place. Any advise is appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, definitely get stabilizer in there right away. Without it chlorine is very strong and disappears very fast. Use the note below to help and shoot for a CYA target of 40. Hope that helps.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP or the Poolmath calculator webpage into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.