New 2020 Intex Graywood 15x48 Round Pool - Cutting intakes/return holes from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2? Am I crazy?

Rustic_Chris

Aug 19, 2020
Califorina
Hello everyone:

I'm new on here and found this forum by searching on how to cut out the 1-1/4 squeezing rubber holes (that probably squeeze the holes smaller than the 1-1/4 anyhow) to the 1-1/2 holes for the Hayward inlets:

Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket Amazon.com: Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket: Garden & Outdoor

I already ordered them and they will be here on Thursday sometime.

We have the Game SandPro 75D filter, which pushes through pretty good but the PSI is slightly up and I believe without upgrade this to the larger size that it might eventually cause issues with our pump.

So what do you all think?
Am I crazy?
And any advice?

I already read several threads on how to do this but they were all older 2015 or so. I've also watched many YouTube videos to.So I was wondering if there is any new tricks or anything I need to know on these newer intex pools?

Thank you for your help

Sincerely
Chris

It's a easy process once you have the new returns. What I do is use the new gaskets to trace the hole on the outside of the pool where it's reinforced. You can do this without draining the pool you will just need a helper. Have the helper inside the pool with a plastic bowl or small bucket that will be able to hold back most of the water, cut the hole and the inside person removes the bucket and places the new return and holds it in place while the outside person puts the outside gasket and nut on. You can get a WINTERIZING PLUG more permanent or CLEAN OUT PLUG temporary to stop the flow of water our of the return until you get your plumbing back together. The good news is you can use the INTEX plunger valves with the new returns, you will just have to use fabricate or find a flat gasket that fits to connect the valves to the returns, without the 2nd gasket the treading won't fully seat and leak. Or you can go full PVC plumbing.

You can see my setup.
IMG_20180523_181903554.jpg

I also made a diverter for my return to get the flow more around the outside of the pool. I think if I redo it I might go with a 45* not a 90* elbow.
IMG_20190601_160149339 (002).jpg

Thank you so very much.
My wife is nervous for me to cut into it since we spent so much money on the pool. But I keep telling her that everything I've searched so far, that no one has said they every had a problem. I also told her that it seems that everyone that has done it is very happy that they did do it and it helped their circulation in the pool.

I just got done vacuuming my pool and I really noticed the lack of suction. And I now cannot wait to make those holes bigger.

Thank you again; I think my main worry since I have researched this and cannot find anything negative about doing it. Is that since it's a new liner of this year I wasn't sure if Intex changed something that would make it harder to cut these holes in.

Thank you so much for the information.

Also I am also putting hard PVC lines in as well so thank you for that information too and thank you for the pictures too

I did it, but I drained below the holes, personally I found that easier.

Just cut slowly and carefully, taking care not to leave any “spurs” as that can prevent getting a leakproof seal.

I think I did this about 4 years ago.

45C96605-F444-44BF-B921-07EE030F9954.jpeg

I've cut 2 intex pools to use the larger return and intake, and no problems with either. Good luck!
edit to add: I agree with Kelly on lowering the water. The first one I cut when the pool was full and I used a bowl on the inside of the pool to keep the water from escaping while I cut and put things back together. With the 2nd pool, I cut the holes as I was filling the pool. I waited until the water was just under where I was going to cut. It was so much easier and just less of a headache!

I did it, but I drained below the holes, personally I found that easier.

Just cut slowly and carefully, taking care not to leave any “spurs” as that can prevent getting a leakproof seal.

I think I did this about 4 years ago.

View attachment 158841
Thank you for confirming and giving me a bit more information to help me do it. Also thank you for letting me know that after 4 years that your pool is still going strong with the larger holes.

I like your skimmer in your pictures.
I've been trying to work on getting my wife allow me to put one of those in. She is really nervous about me cutting into something we just spent a lot of money on. It was hard to get her to agree to the holes and although she doesn't want me to she sees the benefits. She told me to do tons of research and really look into this before I do it. So hopefully I'll be able to get her to let me add the skimmer next.

Do you mind me asking how you added the skimmer? And if you've had any liner issues with cutting that big of hole for the skimmer?

Thank you again for reconfirming and also sharing your setup.

I went hardcore :)

Use a soldering iron to cut out, works perfect and no way to accidentally cut to far with a blade

Used the same exact through wall

With the addition of these unions to make it easy to remove if ever needed..

the above union also works on the skimmer

Thank you for confirming and giving me a bit more information to help me do it. Also thank you for letting me know that after 4 years that your pool is still going strong with the larger holes.

I like your skimmer in your pictures.
I've been trying to work on getting my wife allow me to put one of those in. She is really nervous about me cutting into something we just spent a lot of money on. It was hard to get her to agree to the holes and although she doesn't want me to she sees the benefits. She told me to do tons of research and really look into this before I do it. So hopefully I'll be able to get her to let me add the skimmer next.

Do you mind me asking how you added the skimmer? And if you've had any liner issues with cutting that big of hole for the skimmer?

I did the skimmer at the same time, since I had the water level low anyway. First, I installed just the faceplate. When it was on, I cut the liner inside the frame, from top left to lower right, and from top right to lower left. Then I just cut away each resulting flap, with my blade sliding right along the inside of the faceplate.

Then I removed the faceplate, fitted the butterfly gasket, and followed installation instructions.

It truly was not difficult. Take it step by step.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First I would like to thank everyone for all your help and all your suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Update: so I did all three today in 109 degree heat and in direct sunlight. It wasn't hard at all; the only part that was hard was dealing with the heat. So all went well and I capped them and refilled my pool over two lower ones. So far those two doesn't look like there is any leaks which is awesome.

I haven't started up my pump yet because I've been working all day after cutting the larger holes in the pool putting in hard piping to the pool to the pump/filter. I am half done and I hope to finish on Monday since my wife has something already scheduled for us to do tomorrow and Sunday.

I haven't put in the skimmer because I haven't gotten it yet. I think Amazon has it showing up on Friday or Saturday of next week. I am a bit worried on cutting that one because it is not reinforced; but the Intex skimmer sucks bad. So I do want to do it but very nervous on this one and it has corners unlike a circle cut.

Anyhow once I get everything piped and done I'll attach a picture.

Thank you again.

Personally I thought the skimmer was easier... easier to cut a line than a curve, especially if you use the frame as a guide!

If you aren’t going to turn on pump yet, make sure to add LC and stir water around with net.

Don’t be alarmed if you have a few drips when you turn on pump. Show us where and we’ll advise you on remediation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.