Jul 5, 2022
Ojai, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

Sorry for the long post, don't want to miss anything.

New to this forum, and new to pools. Purchased a home in Sept, 2020, that came with a (20k gallon?) concrete pool, with recently refinished plaster (maybe 2-3 years). There is a spa next to it, which spills over into the pool. Pool has a main drain, and 3 returns. Spa has a drain and 4 returns. One skimmer on the pool. Neighbors home has huge overgrown oak tree directly over our pool (has since been trimmed back).

We had a pool inspection and home inspection prior to purchase, but I believe the inspector was clueless. I was delighted to see the pool came with a new in-in-box polaris pool cleaner, that had never been put in service. There was a booster pump already installed for the pool cleaner, and during the inspection, when we turned it on, the pump started smoking and "smelled like tacos". Attributing it to a bad pump, i purchased a new exact replacement. While installing, I learned both the existing/new pumps were set by default for 220v, but in this case, only had 110v wiring going to them (clueless previous homeowner). Rewired and both work fine. We have learned that a lot of things with this home were done low budget, by questionable contractors/inexperienced homeowners. The home was a foreclosure at one point, before the previous owners had purchased it.

Aside from the pool cleaner pump, the pool seemed to run well upon moving in, however, needed top off water. There was a conveniently newly built Trex deck in the yard, which covers plumbing lines that run between the spa/pool and the home. Being new pool owners in a hot climate, we weren't sure what typical evaporation rates were. By the end of last summer, the need for top off became progressively worse, to the point of approximately 400 gallons/day - 1.5"-2" per day. I hired a pool company for a 3 hr consultation/inspection to try to figure out what was going on. He immediately tried to refer me to his friend's leak detection company, to the tune of $600 just to show up. We tried adjusting valves and using dyes, etc, to determine where the leak was. Due to the existing plumbing and a faulty check valve, I could not isolate the pool/spa returns and didn't find the leak. Between work, kids, business, and life, it got to the point where I could not keep up balancing the water, and didn't want to keep the pool running during the winter time, when no one would be using it. The pump was shut off, and we let it sit. The water drained to the level of the returns, and stayed. We bred some awesome frogs.

This summer, we are in the process of getting the pool going again. We have drained it and refilled it (made sure to do it in a cooler day, with shade). I cut out the check valve between the spa/pool and was able to isolate the spa/pool returns. The pool is holding water great, no issues with its returns. The spa returns will need to be addressed. I plan to hire some muscle to dig in between the deck foundation joists/under the spa deck, to replace the spa return plumbing.

We noted a few areas of the pool plaster are delaminating (hollow-but not popping off-yet). I don't believe the prior plaster was chipped out to the gunite and was probably placed over the old plaster (guessing low bid job). However, due to our neglect of balancing the water chemistry, there is now a rough scale over most of the pool surface. I completely understand this was our fault, for neglecting the pool, and we are at peace with eventually needing to replaster the pool, whenever that time comes. I'd like to try to buy another 2-3 years with the pool as is, before we refinish the pool deck, coping, plaster, plumbing, and all equipment. Using pumice stones and lots of elbow grease, we got the surface of the steps semi-smooth again. I want to do the rest of the pool, so the kids feet don't get sanded. At this point, I have a hard time trusting contractors and would prefer to tackle this. I saw there is an underwater pneumatic polisher that can be used to remove scale (alpha air680uw). I'm fine with buying it, and whatever other equipment is necessary, if that's what it takes. I guess sandblasting would have been a good solution while the pool was empty, but I didn't want it sitting empty too long and risk more delamination. I've seen numerous threads where people suggested a low cost harbor freight pneumatic sander with diamond pads. It would be sacrificed for just this job. I've fabricated quartz counters and worked with concrete/stucco before. I can't see why it wouldn't work, to at least buy some time. Any thoughts on this method ?

TLDR: Bought house with shoddy construction, pipes leaked. Turned pump off and let pool sit for 9 months. Drained, refilled, and now there is scale all over the pool surface that feels like rough sandpaper. Looking for easiest solution, without draining, to buy 2-3 yrs before replastering.

Thanks

Last edited:
I used a pool pumice stone. I only had a 12" line around my pool where I think freeze damage may have occurred so it wasn't the entire plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.