Neep help!!

Jul 7, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm so confused by what people keep telling me at pool stores and am getting frustrated with pool maintenance. We opened our pool in August, 2015 and this year I realized how little that I knew about pools and how much our pool contractor did not tell me. We emptied about 13,000 gallons of pool water late 7/5 because my CYA was 100. We had to fill our pool with a water truck because our well cannot handle that type of load. Now my CYA is 80. So the pool store must have not have given me a true value and I'm still high after spending almost $600 on fresh water. About 2 weeks ago, when realized that high CYA was due to using Tri-chlor tabs, I switched to Power Powder Plus and it ended up raising my CH too high even though pool store promised it doesn't raise it. Yesterday morning after replacing water, my chemicals were tested at pool store. Results were:

FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 150
CYA 70
TA 90
pH 7.6
TDS 600
Pho 100

As I result, I added algaecide because pool was looking green and 3 bags of power powder plus.

Today, I tested them myself and they read:

TC 3
CH 230
CYA 80
TA 60
pH 7.6

It appears my CH increased a lot which is probably due to power powder plus even though store said it would not increase it. I can't use tri-chlor tabs either. So, what do I do? I'm thinking of using bleach and borax per everything that I'm reading on this site. I have always had a problem keeping chlorine in my pool during summer months and don't know why. Charlotte is very hot during summer months. Should I use Borax? I do not have a salt water system. If the answer is yes, I calculated that I need 23 boxes of Borax. Is this correct on 30,000 gallons? Second, how do I calculate Dry Acid if it is 93% Sodium Bisulfate? Third, how do you make the calculation for the GV Walmart 8.25% bleach if bleach is best way to go based on my current situation? And how do I maintain the chlorine using bleach?

Thanks in advance for your help but I'm very frustrated with all this.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, ignore Borax. Not something to worry about.

You have a fairly good test kit, but it is missing the one test you need - the FAS/DPD chlorine test. Pick up the individual FAS-DPD Individual Test test and your kit is now a K-2006, not a K-2005.

Now, take a deep breath, it will get better. You came to the right place.

Power powder plus is CalHypo, so yes - it does increase the calcium (CH).

Once you get teh FAS-DPD test lets do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to try to identify why you have a high chlorine demand. With the high CYA the hot sun in Charlotte should not be the problem.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP! I am also new and can attest to these links and knowledge. My CYA was 125 and I was chlorine locked with algae. Drained half the pool and refilled, down to 70. Still not ideal, but I'm working with it. I was using Trichor tabs but as of yesterday, I've moved to liquid chlorine! The pool looks great today. Glad to have you here!

Hi Tim5055. I finally received my FAS-DPD test and here are my numbers.

FAC 3
TAC 0
CH 190
CYA 90
TA 80
pH 7.6

What does it mean when TAC is 0? I will do an overnight chlorine loss test tonight and get back to you. I have stopped using the chlorinator completely over a week ago but residuals in chlorinator must have raised my CYA from 70 to 90. I have been using bleach only since 7/8. Is there anything else that you suggest? I've been having to add a gallon of bleach to the pool everyday. Thanks!

Hello,

I need some help again! I believe that I have some what appears to be calcium buildup on the bottom of my pool. I switched over from trichlor tabs to Great Value 8.25% bleach about a month ago because I was unaware of the CYA buildup that occurs from triclor tabs. However now I have calcium buildup. Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? Keeping pH down has been a battle since I switched to liquid bleach.

My numbers are:
PH: 7.8
FC: 4
CH: 210
TA: 90
CYA: 80

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.