Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
Moved from HERE

Yes... I had to get the TFP testing kit and follow the TFP protocol for SLAMing the pool. Took about 6 days. After the SLAM, the water turned a crystal quality it had never reached before. Something was living in there. It turned out I had a form of "clear algae". When I added the liquid chlorine, the TFP testing kit confirmed that none of it was free chlorine for long... it all became combined and then vanished. Before the SLAM I was at 100% on the SWCG for 12 hours a day with no detectable chlorine levels. After the SLAM, I keep it at 55% for 10 hours a day and the chlorine has held at 5ppm even in constant summer sun.

The 3 days took around 4 gallons of bleach a day. Then it dropped to 1 and then 1/2 for days 5 and 6. It seemed like way too much chlorine for a pool that looked pretty clear. But it solved the issue.
Liner pool? Looks like I might have to slam.
Did you turn off the SWG? I'm worried about bleaching my liner so much chlorine.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
If you have to run a SLAM Process, the liner will be fine. Be sure to use your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to confirm your CYA first, then go to the FC/CYA Chart and find your proper SLAM FC level. It's best to leave the SWG off during the SLAM since they are not designed to elevate and maintain such a high FC level. Use liquid chlorine and/or regular bleach to increase the FC. Don't forget to lower the pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM. Good luck!

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread