Need to replace concrete near pool

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
A concrete deck between my pool and my house is settling and cracking. This is causing some leaking in the basement. I talked to a concrete company about replacing it. They were nervous about damaging the pool and said I should call a pool company. I just talked to a guy I know at a pool company. He said they didn't do concrete work any more, but he said there is no danger of cutting out and replacing that concrete. He gave me the names of some pool construction companies to call if I wanted to but said it was not necessary, tell the concrete company not to worry about it. Look at the picture in the link below and tell me what you think.

Here is a link to a photo
How could I upload the photo?

poolcrack.jpg

A concrete deck between my pool and my house is settling and cracking. This is causing some leaking in the basement. I talked to a concrete company about replacing it. They were nervous about damaging the pool and said I should call a pool company. I just talked to a guy I know at a pool company. He said they didn't do concrete work any more, but he said there is no danger of cutting out and replacing that concrete. He gave me the names of some pool construction companies to call if I wanted to but said it was not necessary, tell the concrete company not to worry about it. Look at the picture in the link below and tell me what you think.

Here is a link to a photo
How could I upload the photo?
First of all that crack should not have a major impact to water in your basement. You may have a broken downspout drain. It appears that the concrete has either heaved or settled, more likely the latter. You will be safe to remove the conrete to withing 18-24" of the pool after that you will need to be much more careful, most likely complication would be damaging the coping. I would have to see more pictures of the surrounding but this look like a small jack hammer or even a chipping hammer and a wheel wheelbarrow than a heavy equipment job.

The fact that I doesn't look like it has cracked your coping would suggesst that they are separate.

In the picture above, notice the gutter downspouts that go into underground pipes, and notice the crack where the concrete meets the house between the two downspouts. Two problems here. The crack where the concrete meets the house lets water into the basement. Also, looking at the dampness pattern in the basement wall, we suspect the pipe that the downspouts go into may be leaking and need to be replaced. So we think we need to replace that whole section of concrete, and the drain pipe under it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The photo above shows a drain that you can also see in less detail in the photo in post 349, of the house and pool. This drain gets water from that whole concrete deck which is kind of bowl shaped. This is a very poor design I realize. House was built in 1970. I bought it in 2011.

Anyway, that drain must also go into an underground pipe probably connected to the same one the downspouts go into. The concrete around the drain is also settling and will eventually cause a problem. In the photo in post 349, of the house and pool, you can see it is settling by the door, cracking where it meets the house, and allowing water into the basement.

So all that concrete needs to be replaced. I just need to find someone who I trust to do it right and not damage the pool. Like I said in a previous post, I had two concrete companies tell me they would not do it because they are afraid of damaging the pool. But I had a pool guy saying that it would not damage the pool. I am confused, and any info I get in this forum will help me select the right person to do the job.

So all that concrete needs to be replaced. I just need to find someone who I trust to do it right and not damage the pool. Like I said in a previous post, I had two concrete companies tell me they would not do it because they are afraid of damaging the pool. But I had a pool guy saying that it would not damage the pool. I am confused, and any info I get in this forum will help me select the right person to do the job.

I think the concrete companies just don’t know and are afraid of the liability of their equipment doing something.

Also, the liability of debris going into the pool, etc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.