Need to replace broken Floor Drain Cover **UPDATE** Replaced

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
My floor drain cover got stepped on and broke into several pieces and needs to be replaced. The rub....I can't seem to find a replacement. It is an old American Products 9-1/4" round cover (model#871013). I know American Products is not around anymore, but someone HAS to make a replacement or make something to retrofit and make another type of cover work.

The local pool store basically tells me I am hosed. My pool guy says bring it by and he'll see if he has an old one that will work. I was also told that the plaster guy should replace the drain when they do they plaster.....we aren't doing the plaster. I was told by another pool dude that there may be something in the magical wholesale pool warehouse that the general public can't go to, but he can't check for me.

I scoured the interweb and didnt find much. Drainsafe has a ring that could be glued in and then the cover screwed to that. Besafe has this 4' foot round atrosity that would need to be anchored to the pool. But nothing like a simple 9-1/4" rould cover to pop right in place of my old one. Anyone have any clues, leads, insight, old ones laying around, ANYTHING?

Re: Need to replace broken Floor Drain Cover

You have an old, non compliant, drain cover that is no longer made or safe. I doubt anyone will want to take the liability of providing an unsafe cover, which is why you are having the problem finding a bolt on replacement. Google the Virginia Graeme Baker Act for more info as to what is dictating this.

Please be careful and do not let anyone in the pool until you have a compliant cover in place. People can, and have, got hurt with no/unsafe drain covers.

Yes I know about the VGB Act of 2008.

I have no problems with using a compliant cover. That is, if I can get one that will work with our drain. Again, I have looked at the Drainsafe site and they have what they call a Mud Ring". Basically a ring that can be glued in place then a cover bolted to that. I just dont think it is the proper size.

It did give me an idea that I could do a DIY type fix.....I could find a material that I could cut my own ring out of, it woukld have to be something that the special pool glue would work on. Cut it to the 9-1/4" diameter that I need, then come in about an inch and cut out the middle (so I basically end up with a a o-ring spacer). Glue that down and srew the VGB compliant cover to that ring.

Anyone know where i might find about a 1 square foot piece of PVC material that is about 3/8" thick?

scubasteve said:
Yes I know about the VGB Act of 2008.

I have no problems with using a compliant cover. That is, if I can get one that will work with our drain. Again, I have looked at the Drainsafe site and they have what they call a Mud Ring". Basically a ring that can be glued in place then a cover bolted to that. I just dont think it is the proper size.

It did give me an idea that I could do a DIY type fix.....I could find a material that I could cut my own ring out of, it woukld have to be something that the special pool glue would work on. Cut it to the 9-1/4" diameter that I need, then come in about an inch and cut out the middle (so I basically end up with a a o-ring spacer). Glue that down and srew the VGB compliant cover to that ring.

Anyone know where i might find about a 1 square foot piece of PVC material that is about 3/8" thick?

Could you use plexiglass or lexan?

I could and would if the Oatey glue made for use with pools/wet environment will work with lexan or plexiglass. I need something that will adhere what ever material i use to the drain sump, which is PVC. I am also looking into cutting board material, HDPE (or something like that).

I found a 1 square foot of PVC for $20. Just not sure if its 3/8".

Grainger Rocks!!

Friday I will have a 12"X12", 3/8" inch thick sheet of PVC. It will be grey, so what! For just $18.86.

Will cut outside diameter to 9-1/4" and inside diameter to 7-1/8", the middle will be dropped out. I plan to glue that to the drain sump, then I will glue the ring that came with Aquastar cover to my PVC ring. Screw on the cover and FILL R UP!!!

Estimated cost to remove and replace existing drain - $450

Cost to retrofit existing sump with new cover - $45

:party: :whoot: :goodjob: :goodjob: :whoot: :party:

If you have a local Counter Top company that does Corian or Hymax they would have a scrap from where they cut out for a sink. Common wood working tools will cut and route Corian.

I would love to see a picture when you get it fixed. Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a weekend....

I picked up my PVC on Friday and it was on! I started draining the pool Saturday morning, the spare pool pump couldn't handle the load when the water level got way down. I had to get a trash pump to finish the job (should used the trash pump to begin with). Used a wet dry vac to get every last bit of water out of the pool that I could. My wife went to town makin the ring from the PVC that we bought, perfect fit in the existing drain and the new drain ring fit like a glove as well. We used the Oatey brand Rain R Shine to glue it all in place. We let it set for a couple hours and dropped the hose in the pool, took about 24 hours to fill it completely.

Here are a couple pics from the days events:

Pool2.jpg

Drain1.jpg

Drain2.jpg

Almost done fillin-er-up! This was taken as I was finishing up my frozen concoction that helps me hang on, and just before a test swim.

Pool1.jpg

I am working on getting the "freckles" of the bottom of the pool. Hopefully, I will have her balanced out by the weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.