Need to make my Pentair variable speed pump run 24/7

Otis Campbell

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2013
Lewisville, TX
I'm having trouble getting my pump to prime. Yesterday, on the advice of my pool guy, I ran water into the pump basket for 3 minutes then turned the pump on and got it to prime. Since the pump had not run for a few days I set it for 24 hours to get my chlorine level up. Mid day today I tested my water. My FC was at 7 so I shut off the pump.

My schedule starts the pump at 3:00 pm but the pump did not prime. Tonight, I tried the trick my pool guy gave me twice but it didn't work. So I tried the next thing he told me to try which is to run the water into the pump basket for 2 minutes and turn on the spa. That worked. I'm reasonably sure I can flip it from spa mode to pool mode and get the pump to prime. The reason I believe this is that last night, after I got the pump to prime, my wife turned on the spa. The pump kept running and after we turned off the spa it went back to pool mode. That's when I flipped the SWG to 24 hours.

Here's my problem. I'm leaving town tomorrow and my pool guy can't get out here until next week. So I want to change my schedule to 24/7 so my pump doesn't have to prime while I am gone. If the pump stops while I'm gone I'm coming back to a swamp.

I have automation. Do I set my schedule to 10:00 AM to 10:00 AM? Or do I set it to 10:00 AM to 9:59 AM. Thanks.

I programmed accordingly last night. We just crossed 10:00 am and the pump continues to run. I assume that the timer took over from my manual start at 10:00 am. I told the house sitter to keep an eye on the spa overflow in case I need to make a 911 call to a repair guy. Thanks again.

Reactions: bdavis466
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.