Need Some Help

Hello Everyone,

I bought a house last year that had an above ground pool around 12,000 gallons. Sand filter. I went to open the pool this year and there was a big hole in the cover and a lot of debris got in. I live in Michigan so we don't get a long pool season so I was eager to try to get it running and went to Leslie's first. Now I know from all I read here that probably wasn't the best place to start. They sold me about 100 bucks worth of stuff and had me do the following steps.

1. Add Green to Clean wait 5 mins
2. Add 2 lbs powder shock wait 12 hours
3. Add 2 lbs powder shock wait 12 hours
4. Add 2 lbs powder shock wait 12 hours
5. Add half bottle of Clear Aid

Left me with a Blue cloudy pool with about 1 foot of visibility. When I put my arm in to my elbow I can't see my finger tips. Went back there and they told me to add the rest of the clear aid and told me to add stabilizer. Did both while only having a floater in my pool to maintain chlorine. I scooped the bottom with the leaf net and there is still green algae under there. So I gave up on Leslie's bought the TF-50 as I had the PH test already and went and bought 4 cases (16 bottles of 10% chlorine) The box says it was packed 5/31/17. $13 at Meijer for 4 so i figured it was a pretty good deal. I haven't added any chlorine yet and my test kit will arrive today and I will post my numbers. I have read a ton in pool school and messed with the pool math but I just have a few questions.

1. When i test my water is there a certain spot I should be testing at? Closes to the skimmer furthest from the skimmer etc?
2. Should I add the chlorine at the jet or around the outsides?
3 Pool math says to add like 2 gallons to get my pool to shock level assuming my CYA is around 40. But I know I have algae that is going to eat that up. How much should I add at first?
4. I am going to vacuum to waste first and brush the walls but is there anything else I should be doing?

Obviously I am going to be trying the slam method and I know there is no set thing on how long it will take but is 16 gallons going to be enough for my Slam or will I probably need more? I am not going to add anything else to it until I get the test numbers back and figure out what I need.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Hi and welcome!

1. If you have good circulation it shouldn't matter. I prefer to collect my sample from in front of the return.

2. In front of the return, slowly. (Pencil thin stream)

3. 2 gallons :) You will want to test and add frequently in the beginning to keep it at SLAM level.

4. Read the SLAM article until you have it memorized :)

I am not going to add anything else to it until I get the test numbers back and figure out what I need.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

This.This.This...No more pool store! The TF-50 may not have enough reagents for the SLAM, so be prepared to order some refills! When you get your refills think about getting a Speed Stir, you won't regret that little gem! It would not hurt to add 1/2 - 1 gallon of bleach per day until your test kit arrives. As soon as possible post a full battery of test in this thread and we will have you sparkling in no time!

16 gallons of bleach is a good start...may need more!

Here is the first test results about an hour and a half after dumping 2 bottles of 10% in.

FC=20
CC=1.5-2
CH=350
TA=90
CYA=35-40.

Think I have a pretty good start. I know I am above shock level but it was pretty green and I didn't check my CYA first so I just wanted to be sure I had enough in there. Before putting any chemicals in I got out whatever algae I could and scrubbed everything with a brush. Hoping this is good to start. I forgot to test PH before I shocked but I checked it a few days ago and it was 7.0 ish.

You should be at a Shock level of 16. If you go higher you are just wasting chlorine/test reagents. Keep your FC at 16 or a little above (1 or 2 ppm). Test your water, add bleach to 16, then retest to make sure you are at or slightly above 16. Keep it up! Good job!

It has been 4 days of SLAMing. Water is blue but still extremely cloudy. Visibility of 6 inches to a foot. I am still finding debris on the bottom when I vacuum/brush but not a ton and when I brush daily the water still stirs up some brown/green from the bottom. I guess my question is should I be trying to clear the water too by adding something to the water such as Clarified or adding DE to my filter? Or should I wait until I have passed 2 out of the 3 criteria for my SLAM.

Please DO NOT ADD anything to the water other than Chlorine. You will just be wasting money.

June 2
6_2_2017 water condition after CYA.jpg

Today
6_20_2017 pool.jpg

Not 1 oz of Algaecide
Not 1oz of "bag shock"
Not 1oz of Floc/clarifier

Just SLAM and a properly working Filtration system

Save your $$ for chlorine/bleach

Good luck,

You need to keep up the SLAM...Cloudy water tells me you are not finished SLAMMING. How many times a day are you testing your FC and bringing it back up to shock level? I recommend a bare minimum of 3 times a day...the more you test the better! Can you post your last set of results (FC, CC, and CYA)?

I am trying to test when I wake up, when I get home from work, and before bed. However, yesterday I only did it once. I have been blind adding chlorine to make sure it stays high since I didn't have a chance to check it. I will check it when I get home from work and let you know. Would there be a benefit to getting in and just moving the water around more than brushing and vacuuming is doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only did it once. I have been blind adding chlorine to make sure it stays high since I didn't have a chance to check it.

This spells trouble...YOU MUST check your levels, the more often the better!

Would there be a benefit to getting in and just moving the water around more than brushing and vacuuming is doing?

I would just brush and vacuum...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.