Need some help getting sand filter open to do deep cleaning

May 29, 2018
Conway, AR
I need some help doing a deep cleaning for sand filter. The plumping is a bit strange as I know I can't remove some of the pipes. Can you guys tell me what steps and tools I will need?

20180702_070312.jpg

And here is the other side.

20180702_070331.jpg

I know I can not get any of it off by hand. I also have no desire to become a full on plumber but I dont mind doing something simple.

As a minimum you would want to fit a barrel union connection to the waste outlet side - this will allow you to easily disconnect (and reconnect) the waste pipe from the multiport valve assembly.

As it stands I think you will struggle to lift the multiport assembly off the filter as your fixed waste pipe connection will prevent you from doing so.

The flex connections from your pump and to the return really need unions as well but you could getaway without them for now due to the flex lines.

Ideally you want to toss those in the bin and redo the lines with hard pvc and incorporate unions for ease of disassembly.

Those current fittings (screw-in) to the multiport assembly look like they have been glued in which will make them difficult to remove. Pipes will need to be cut anyway...

I would get two schedule 40 ball valve unions and 1 plain schedule 40 union. I would put one ball union on the line from the pump to the filter and one on the line from filter to the pool. I would put the plain union on the waste line. I would position them on the long pipe runs. As long as you have to cut and glue anyway you may as well add something so you don't have to cut into the plumbing again next time it need cleaning.

You can cut the pipes with a hack saw or reciprocal saw. Either screwdriver or socket set to remove the clamp around the multiport valve, I can't tell from the photo which one you have. You will also need pvc glue and primer. Look for unions like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Fitting-Union-Schedule-Socket/dp/B009F3KR06/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009F3KR06&pd_rd_r=9dbf8aaa-7df7-11e8-bd34-7952436a36ae&pd_rd_w=e7Ccd&pd_rd_wg=0Cguf&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7967298517161621930&pf_rd_r=0D5QGAMTDQS03TNBD0N8&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=0D5QGAMTDQS03TNBD0N8&dpID=31RUYfKDl8L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/American-Valve-P200SUE-Single-Schedule/dp/B001E1T2E4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1530536417&sr=1-1&keywords=schedule+40+pvc+ball+valve+union&dpID=31JK2p19nHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.